Friday, May 09, 2008

A shout out for Step-moms and Mothers-in-law

On this Mother’s Day Eve, I wanted to take a moment to praise some mothers who don’t always get a fair shake. We’ve all heard the jokes and horror stories about wicked stepmothers and evil mothers-in-law, but most of the women I know who fill these roles are good gals who try hard to do the right thing.
In my own case, I’m blessed with a wonderful mother-in-law. Loretta Myers has been a friend to me for over 28 years. She’s fun, funny, and always supportive.
As for step-moms, my hat is off to these women who walk a tight-rope between their children’s birth mom and their new husbands. It’s tough to find the right balance, I’m sure.
I hadn’t really considered the step-mother question much until I wrote the Superromance book that’s coming out next month, A Soldier Comes Home. My heroine, Chrissie, falls in love with a man who’s just returned from Iraq. Ray’s wife left while he was oversees and he has sole custody of a three-year old. Chrissie loves Ray and his little boy, but she wonders if she has what it takes to be a step-mom. Writing the book really made me think about everything that goes into being a good step-mom
To all step-moms, moms, grandmoms, mothers-in-law and friends of moms – I salute you and wish you a very happy mother’s day.
Now it’s your turn – do you have a woman in your life – your mom or someone else – who has been special to you. Let’s hear her story.

2 comments:

Christa said...

I think there's even more pressure on a stepmother when she brings her own children into a marriage. My Stepmother had 4 of her own and when she married my dad she got two more. And all six of us were about two years apart so all of sudden she had 4 teenagers to deal with.

Cindi Myers said...

4 Teens -- she is a saint, Christa!