Sunday, May 11, 2008

Feeling Left Out!

Mother's Day always leaves me feeling a bit left out. I have no kids, so nobody gives ME presents. My own mother passed away many years ago, and I have no aunts or grandmothers still living. I have a mother-in-law, but she lives far away and, well, of course I sent her a card but it's not quite the same.

This year, I decided I would just celebrate anyway. Heck, most everyone else is celebrating, I might as well, too! So yesterday I bought myself a piece of jewelry (nothing grand, just a beaded bracelet from a craft fair). I've wrapped it up, and I'll give it to myself tomorrow. We'll say it's from my cat, who is so spoiled she might as well be my child.

I also have a rose bush in the back yard that is exploding in huge yellow blooms. So tomorrow morning I'll go cut myself a bouquet. I might even be able to con my husband into taking me out to dinner. (He won't buy the "I'm a mother to our pets" excuse, but I'll think of something.)

Finally, perhaps I'll dig out one of my favorite "motherhood" books from my keeper shelf and snuggle in for a good self-indulgent read. Maybe I'll even re-read one of my own. Oddly, though I never chose motherhood for myself, I've written LOTS of books about secret babies, unplanned pregnancies and single moms. I guess these situations appeal more in fiction than real life!

I hope all you moms, and/or children with moms, have a great day!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kara- I love what you're doing for yourself. Why not? :-)

Kara Lennox said...

Thanks, Ann.

I'm afraid my roses are past their prime, so my bouquet only had three blooms! Still pretty, though.

Estella said...

Pamper yourself. You're a woman!

Marianne Arkins said...

Hey... cats count! :-)

Happy Mother's Day.

Trish Milburn said...

Hey, Kara, you're "mom" to a lot of books. That counts. (Says she who also doesn't have kids.) :)

Sarita Leone said...

I hope you had a lovely day, Kara. I love it that you planned to pamper yourself a bit. You deserve it. :)

Kara Lennox said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, friends!

I didn't prevail on the dinner out, but I did fix some homemade spaghetti and meat sauce for dinner, and I did have a nice read last night. (Didn't read a "mom" book, though--I chose a YA paranormal. Go figure.)

Linda Warren said...

Kara,
I'm one of those, too, who feels left out on this day. No kiddies here.
My husband brought in a Gardenia bloom from the yard and the scent was heavenly, so I was happy.
Then a goose on the lake had 3 gooslings and I couldn't write in the afternon for watching them waddle around. I'm still trying to get a picture and I should be writing.
Linda