Monday, May 05, 2008

Birdies, birdies everywhere


There’s a bird nest in our front porch light. I discovered this when I watered the impatience in the flower box beneath the light and mama bird flew off in a blur of wings. We’re trying to not use the front door for awhile, instead going in and out from the deck or the back yard.

You may not be able to see this in the photo, but the nest sits between the frame and the light bulb. Mama bird is quite smart—she chose a sheltered place that is protected from rain (our front porch is covered on top) and safe from kitties, crows and other predators.

My husband thought he saw the female’s mate on the deck railing. He found a photo in a bird book and believes our guests are house finches.

We’re honored that they family settled here and are excitedly waiting for the day when the eggs hatch and the babies begin their lives.

Does anyone have a special animal story to share?

Until next time,
Ann Roth
www.annroth.net

6 comments:

Estella said...

Smart bird!

Anonymous said...

I know. ;-)

EllenToo said...

I have hurricane shutters on all my windows. They are louver type that open and close and at the bottom there is a flat shelf. I have several times had birds squeeze in and build nests and I get to watch the babies hatch and grow up.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful, Ellen. I think that is so sweet. Wouldn't it be fun to build your house any old place that suited you, with no expense?

Anonymous said...

Very sweet!

Kara Lennox said...

Ann, I am so jealous! I put up birdhouses everywhere and get no takers, and you have them in your porch light.

I would love to have some house finches. They have a beautiful song. Hang a mesh bag with some thistle seed in it and you'll have plenty of food for them.