Friday, May 16, 2008

Nuisance Animals

For the past three summers I have tried everything to "encourage" the rabbits to leave my yard. This spring I counted six of them--the most I've ever had. I've tossed moth balls under bushes--all that did was make the neighbors curl their noses when they strolled past the house. I've put up fences around my tulips--the rabbits jump right over to eat the plant leaves. I purchased a "rabbit spray" from the local nursery and that worked for a few weeks, then the critters ignored the smell. I've sprinkled blood meal on the ground around my plants but then the dogs roll in it and stink to high heaven. Speaking of the dogs--they chase the rabbits out of the yard, but as soon as I bring the dogs inside the house, the rabbits return.

Just once I'd like to plant flowers in the ground and not have to put them in pots and hang them from tree branches. I've also had to resort to using my birdbaths as planters and although they look cute filled with flowers, I'm sure the birds would rather have water.

If anyone has checked out my website this month, then they know I've declared an all-out war against the rabbits in my yard. This spring I obtained a permit to catch a "nuisance animal" and bought a live trap. Check out www.marinthomas.com for information on my Elmer Fudd Wabbit Contest. I've bated the trap with fresh carrots and leafy vegetables and have witnessed two of the rabbits sniff the trap, eat the grass around the trap--but the darn critters won't go in.

Has anyone ever dealt with a nuisance animal in their yard and if so, did you have any success getting it to leave?

Marin

A Coal Miner's Wife *Hearts of Appalachia* Aug 08
www.marinthomas.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marin, I just left your website, and I'm still laughing. Obviously, IT'S WAR at your house! good luck catching that rabbit. I'm no help on this one. Everytime we have a rabbit, I'm excited..."Oh, look! It's a sweet little bunny!"
I can't wait to see a photo of you with your 'catch'!
Shelley

Estella said...

The only nuisance animals I have had are deer and moles.Had no luck getting rid of either.

Anonymous said...

Funny!! But not if you're in the middle of it... My mom continually battles bunnies, pesky squirrels, deer and once or twice, foxes (after the bunnies). Peanut butter worked for her. She caught them (I'm talking squirrels here, not bunnies, etc.) and took them to a woodsy park full of walking trails (she and dad live on 4 acres). For all the good that did. Many more took their places. They don't want to leave!!

Lots of luck... and you might want to call animal control for help.

Marin Thomas said...

Shelley, at first I thought they were cute and sweet until they began eating the bark on one bushes during the winter when they couldn't find food. Plus rabbits carry fleas and my dogs love being outside in the summer rolling in the grass because they're stuck in the house most of the winter. We'll see what happens...

Marin
www.marinthomas.com

Marin Thomas said...

Estella

Deer can be a big problem, too. When we lived in Houston they ate my honeysuckle bush to the ground. We ended up putting in a fence. Afterward I enjoyed watching the deer pass through at the back of our property.

Marin
www.marinthomas.com

Marin Thomas said...

Ann

In our area animal control won't come out and trap a nuisance animal like a rabbit. There are too many of them. Our development is about 12 years old and so far we don't have any squirrels...just rabbits (sigh).

Marin
www.marinthomas.com

Anonymous said...

There was recently a local story about a family who has a fox and her cubs living under their deck. The fox has scared off the rabbits and, according to the DNR, isn't a danger to the family as long as they don't interfere with the cubs. Perhaps you need a new pet!