Monday, July 23, 2007

Yet Another Post About Nationals

Oh, gosh. You're probably thinking, not another post about the RWA National conference. Over a week since I got home, and I'm still at loose ends. Just tonight, I looked at my calendar and thought, "Yikes! It's my day to post." And I still haven't even unpacked the last of my bags.

This year I had a particularly great time at conference, my first as a Harlequin author. One of the highlights for me is connecting with many of my long distance friends. I did get a chance to do that this year, but I also made a bunch of new friends among the Harlequin American authors.

Victoria Chancellor is just a hoot (I picked up your new book, Temporarily Texan, the other day, by the way). I think Lee McKenzie and I are twins separated at birth. We showed up at the Harlequin party wearing almost identical outfits! What with our hair being a similar color and both of us wearing glasses, it was hard to tell us apart in the dark. Cathy Gillen Thacker is my new idol. She has an amazing career, and I want to be just like her when I grow up. I also loved meeting Megan. She's so sweet and so excited about her first book coming out. Kim is another excited author. She recently won the Harlequin American contest (and who wouldn't be excited about that?) I hope to see her posting here one day in the near future.

Life immediately returned to normal by Sunday afternoon. I'm grateful my husband and daughter took such good care of the house while I was gone and that the laundry was caught up. Fortuneately, my son was out of town working on a construction job so the house wasn't quite as messy as it could be. My daughter left yesterday for her first big trip alone (she's starting her senior year in high school next month), and her first plane trip alone. I promise not to get all weepy on you. But in private, all bets are off. Cell phones are such wonderful inventions. I made her promise to call me everyday.

Well, it's back to the grindstone for me. I have a book due and line edits on the way. Too bad vacations don't last just a few days longer.

Cathy Mc

5 comments:

Estella said...

Sounds like you had a really good time at RWA!

Lee McKenzie said...

Hey, twin sister! LOL! Isn't it great that we have excellent taste in party clothes?

Cathy McDavid said...

I tell you, Lee, we were smoking cute that night!!!

Estella, I had a great time at the conference.

Cathy Mc

Anonymous said...

Cathy, it was so great to meet you. I felt like everywhere I went I ran into you and your smiling face. Hugs on the daughter growing up. And I second the yay on cell phones.

Lindsey/Kimberly

Cathy McDavid said...

Lind/Kim!

You'd better let me know how your submission goes, sweetie. I'm pulling for you.

Cathy