Sunday, July 22, 2007

HARRY POTTER WEEKEND

I, too, had a great time at RWA. I loved seeing my editors and other authors, and I learned quite a bit at the workshops. But, I have to admit that one of my favorite activities at national was collecting free books. I always bring an extra suitcase and really look forward to standing in lines to meet authors, get books signed, and pack them away. This year, Harlequin had a book signing, and I was fortunate enough to pick up a whole lot of my favorite authors’ novels.

Seeing those books—and feeling that burst of anticipation to read them-reminds me of being in grade school. Every June I’d join the summer reading club hosted by our local library. I had a canvas tote to carry my books in...and a sheet of paper where I carefully recorded each book read.

Both my parents were avid readers, and my brother, sister, and I all love to read, too. Nowadays, I seem to frequent the local Barnes and Noble more than the library…but I still have that great feeling of grabbing a new friend when I hold a new book in my hands.

Especially a new book by a favorite author. So, obviously, this weekend was exciting for me because of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Though I half thought of visiting a store at midnight, I decided to get my copy yesterday. Last night, in honor of getting the new book, my husband took me to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at the movies. Then, way before my two teenagers made it home, I sat in bed with my prize and started reading.

I got up early to read, too. One of my favorite activities to do on the weekends is to read in the morning while the rest of my family is asleep. Sitting, watching the birds in my backyard and enjoying a pot of coffee of my very own has always been completely satisfying.

So, we’ll run to church today. I’ll make a big southern style breakfast of biscuits and sausage and gravy. We’ll get my son off to wrestling camp. I’ll do whatever else needs to be done…but in between all that, I’ll be reading Harry. And smiling.

Because the best news is that I’ve got at least thirty other books from RWA just waiting in line to be read next. No wonder my husband has been teasing me about my exceptionally good mood! So, anyone else reading a good book?

7 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

I know I'm missing out but...

I'VE NEVER READ a Harry Potter book. **gasp**
I like YA, too! I really have to get on the ball with that one.

I'm not doing any "pleasure" reading right now, but I did pick up Kate Walker's 12 Point guide to writing romance. It's very good so far. :)

Estella said...

I have never read Harry Potter either---and don't plan to. Too many great romance authors to read instead!

MJFredrick said...

I finished HP at 10 last night....on to the RWA file!!

Anonymous said...

Jennifer and Estella~I'm kind of surprised I like HP so much...but I started out reading them outloud to my kids and got hooked.

MaryF...I finished the book late last night~those last 200 pgs were hard to put down!

Now I just have to decide which of July's Americans to dive into!

Shelley

PatriciaW said...

Bought mine on Saturday. First time I got a hardcover. Didn't want to wait the extra year for the paperback version.

These are a delight because I've read every single one with my now 12-year old son. (I think book four came out when we started but we caught up pretty quickly.) We're read the first six chapters and we're both dying to go on but we commit to only read it together.

Anonymous said...

Patricia,

I completely agree with you...these books are a delight because they bring back great memories of reading with my kids.

You'll have to let me know what you and your son thought of the final book!

Shelley

Nathalie D. said...

I read the five first books... and then I had enough, and I agree there is too much romance to enjoy. I have just finished Insatiable by Virginia Henley which I really liked!