Friday, July 27, 2007

Inspiration for book plots

Hi guys,
I've had folks ask where I get the inspiration for my books. Actually, they come from a variety of places-the paper, the news, people I see walking in the mall (especially good looking guys), eavesdropping-you name it and I can create a story out of it. My first book was inspired by a group of older guys in the San Antonio airport. What I learned from "listening" was that they make a twice a year trip to Las Vegas to gamble. From there, I segued to having them murder young whipper-snapper drug dealers. In my vivid imagination, they were in the drug trade during the Viet Nam war and as their golden years came along, they became more and more concerned about their upcoming date with Saint Peter. That's when they decided to make amends. In actuality, all they were doing was enjoying life in their John Deere ball caps and suspenders.

I grew up in a small south Texas town, and eccentric people were the norm, not the exception. Maybe that's why I have such a good imagination.

So it's off to finish the second in my Georgia series. Have a great weekend.

Ann DeFee
Georgia On His Mind - Harlequin American Romance - mid- August 2007 (it's a cutie!)
Summer After Summer - Harlequin Everlasting Love - September 2007
The Perfect Tree - Harlequin American Romance Christmas Anthology - November 2007

2 comments:

Cherie J said...

Thanks for sharing. As a reader I am always intrigued by the idea of how authors get their book ideas.

Estella said...

I enjoy hearing how writers get the ideas for their books.