Thursday, July 26, 2007

Tomorrow's novelists

Recently I had a great opportunity to judge a contest for young writers (junior high and high school). For the most part, I saw the type of entries I expected--stories long on passion and enthusiasm and short on discipline. These kids knew what they liked to read and were attempting to duplicate it. I saw everything from an apocalyptic, futuristic war story filled with explosions to a YA chick-lit type story to something that read like a treatment for a B-grade slasher film. The pages were littered with hideous misspellings ("cereal killer" being my favorite), unintelligible sentence structure and random punctuation.

But I saw occasional flashes of brilliance, too--the subtle, sophisticated use of symbolism in one story; funny, sparkling dialogue in another.

My task was to offer abundant praise where possible and gentle suggestions for improvement--pretty easy for the most part.

Then there was Emily's* story. Oh, my Lord, could that little fifteen-year-old write. She described one pivotal moment in a teenager's life, and her story had it all--an endearingly flawed protagonist facing a difficult situation, a plot that hung together, a climax, and a satisfying conclusion. Her writing was filled with rich, sensory detail. Her point of view was solid. Her voice was fresh. Her spelling, grammar and punctuation--flawless.

It's a little embarrassing to be "judging" a teenager who can write circles around me! I hope someone in her life encourages her to pursue writing as a career, because she is certainly off to a brilliant start. I hope she will remember me fondly as the contest judge who gave her the encouragement she needed to pursue a dream.

*not her real name

2 comments:

PatriciaW said...

If you encouraged Emily, she'll remember.

I hope everyone who has a heart to write walked away feeling encouraged, even if their technical skills weren't there. The one nice thing about this is that if you're willing to work hard and invest the time, one can learn to write decently.

Estella said...

I'm sure she will remember you and the encouragement you gave her.