Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Animal Rescue

I had planned to write about the RWA National Conference in Dallas, but all the excitement has already been summed up so well. And now that I’ve been home for over a week, other things are slowly starting to take priority. One of those things is animal rescue, and over the next few weeks I’ll be meeting and interviewing several people involved in this.

The first is a woman who operates a heritage farm. Tomorrow I’m going to meet her, tour the restored log barns on her property, and meet her menagerie. The animals on this farm are not traditional farm animals. Many were rescued by the SPCA and have had the good fortune to find a forever home on a farm with heated barns and a human willing to cater to every dietary whim. I’m writing a Superheroine article about her for the September issue of The Wet Noodle Posse ezine. I’ll try to remember to post a reminder, in case anyone’s interested in reading about this amazing woman.

My second interview will be with a couple who rescue Old English Sheepdogs. I became interested in sheepdog rescue because in my next Harlequin American Romance, With This Ring (December ‘07), the hero has a sheepdog named Max. Sometime this fall I’ll add pictures and information about sheepdog rescue to my website. And as a side note, if you’re an animal lover, I think you’re really going to love Max!

I deeply admire anyone who reaches out to help others, but there’s a special place in my heart for people who rescue mistreated animals, nurture them back to health, and give them a loving, caring home. Don’t you wish the world had more people like them?

Lee
www.leemckenzie.com
www.wetnoodleposse.com

7 comments:

catslady said...

I do what I can with feral cats. I've always judged people on what their attitudes are about animals. I've never found an animal lover that I haven't liked and subsequently the reverse works the same way.

Cathy McDavid said...

How funny that my long lost twin should post about animal rescue. We just last week adopted a border collie from the Arizona Border Collie Rescue.

After completing an eight page application and passing a home inspection, we got to bring "Track" home. I was very impressed with his foster father, who donated his time and resources to house Track for 2 months until we found our way to him.

Can't wait to read your article, Lee.

Cathy Mc

Estella said...

I hate to see any animal "dumped".
At one point I had 11 cats and 4 dogs because someone dumped them at the end of our driveway. I wish more people would take in someone elses unwanted pets.

Lee McKenzie said...

Catslady,

I can tell that along with being an an animal lover, you are a person with unlimited patience. That's definitely what it takes to socialize a feral cat.

Lee

Lee McKenzie said...

Cathy,

I adore border collies. They're so intelligent and sociable, and very energetic!

Didn't you recently post a photo of an adorable little papillion who found a home with you?

I hope the two have already become great friends. Looking forward to seeing more photos some day.

Lee

Lee McKenzie said...

Estella,

Many people have to give up pets due to health reasons, changes in living situations, etc., that are beyond their control. That must be so heart breaking.

But to simply dump an animal on the side of the road? That is impossible for me to imagine.

I'll bet you're a very caring person, and it sounds as though word of that has spread through your neighborhood!

Lee

Cathy McDavid said...

Lee,

Yes, I did post a picture of our new puppy. We are up to 3 dogs now.

I'm buying stock in Purina.

The cat isn't happy.

Cathy