Sunday, July 01, 2007

Summer reading -- just for fun!

Every year, newspapers and magazines run lists of recommended beach or poolside reading. I hope you’re all buying the releases from Harlequin American, but I thought I’d offer a few additional recommendations.

My all-time favorite is Pride and Prejudice. And I recently ran across the curious incident of the dog in the night-time, a charming coming-of-age story by Mark Haddon, written from the point of view of an autistic boy.

But mostly, I’m recommending books written by friends, because I love their work. You can find these at your favorite bookstore or on-line at www.amazon.com.

In the field of romantic suspense, Kat Martin’s The Summit is a fast-moving read about a woman whose dreams lead her to a rescue mission. Dead Shot by Annie Solomon tells the gripping story of an art photographer, her bodyguard and a dangerously obsessed fan. Don’t overlook Suzanne Forster’s The Arrangement and Diane Pershing’s One Cool Lawman (from Silhouette Romantic Suspense).

For an exciting foray into the vampire genre, try One With the Night by Susan Squires. A lighter venture into the paranormal comes from Maureen Child. Her More Than Fiends features a maid service owner who discovers that her centuries-old cleaning solution has hidden powers.

Looking for historical romance? Don’t miss A Lady of Scandal by one of my favorite Regency authors, Nicole Byrd. In the Western genre, you’ll enjoy Karen Kay’s Red Hawk’s Woman.

For a private-eye story with a humorous touch, check out The Sex on the Beach Book Club by Jennifer Apodaca and Meow Is for Murder by Linda O. Johnston.

As you can see, I’m blessed with wonderfully talented friends. Once you’ve read their books, I hope you’ll consider them your friends, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendations, I'm always looking for new books to check out! I have read a few good ones this summer also. Lethally Blond by Kate White; Persuader and Bad Luck & Trouble by Lee Child; Leave It To Cleavage by Wendy Wax.

Christa said...

I've read The Arrangement, what a fabulous read. On a recent stay at my sister's I picked up a buch of older Diana Palmer. They span from 1983 to 1991. I also want to get to Broken by Megan Harte and The Marriage Bed by Judith Arnold in the next week or two.

Jacqueline Diamond said...

Thanks for posting! Happy reading!