Thursday, July 05, 2007

I'm gone but not my post!

As you read this, I am in Ahsland, Oregon at the Oregon Shakespeare festival. This is our fifth time there. The festival opens in February and closes in November, but we always go in the summer. Ashland is a great town that boasts nature walks, a small university, and the best theater I've ever seen. (the acting! The sets!) There are three theaters and the festival offers plays by Shakespeare and other great playwrights, both modern and old. You can take a backstage tour and learn about what goes on behind the scenes. And it's only 12 miles from Medford, home of Harry and David and Jackson & Perkins roses. Touring the gardens where they develop new rose varieties is a real treat..

We love to drive down the Oregon coast and spend the Fourth of July in Ashland because the town puts on the best little parade ever. All the kids participate, and it's just plain fun. At night we skip the fireworks to see a play at the Elizabethan theater, which is a theater with no ceiling and looks out on the starry sky. Talk about fabulous. This year, Romeo and Juliet. How romantic.

I've left my laptop behind and won't be responding to any comments. But I'll look forward to reading them when I get home. (For a mere three days before I leave for RWA in Dallas!)
Congratulations to the June winners of books by Laura Altom, Marin Thomas and me! I don't even know who you are yet (I left town July 1, before the winners were chosen) and am excited to find out!

Ann Roth

Summer Lovin' Anthology: A Reunion Story, June 2007
Mitch Takes A Wife, August, 2007
www.annroth.net

2 comments:

Estella said...

All of Oregon is a great place to visit! I may be prejudiced because I live just north of Bandon, close to the Oregon coast.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Estella. I was so close to you! Did you know I wrote a trilogy of books (The Man She'll Marry (June 2006), It Happened One Wedding (April 2007, Mitch Takes A Wife (August 2007) that take place in Cranberry, Oregon, a fictional town modeled after Bandon? Such a great town.

This year we stayed two nights in Newport, then spent three nights in Ashland.

Hope you enjoyed your 4th!