Friday, June 01, 2007

On little cat feet

Cats are sneaky. Wait! I’m not a cat-basher. Anyone who’s read my books has come across characters who own cats. Some of them also rescue strays.

I never expected to own a cat and certainly not to find myself dosing one with medicine twice a day. This involves sticking my fingers in his mouth to pry his jaws open.

How did this happen? He sneaked up on me.

At various times before I got married, I owned small, portable animals. Hamsters. A couple of chinchillas. These having all expired, my husband requested a No Pets policy. In return, he agreed we could have kids. (He was joking. I think.)

Many years later, a cat showed up in our yard. Sweet, shy and – I thought – pregnant. Turned out she was faking it, but by then we’d adopted her. Actually, she’d already been spayed. A few years later, along came Cat No. 2, an obviously non-neutered male.

Our children adored them, so my husband tolerated the creatures. Cat No. 2 got neutered, while, in the course of time, Cat No. 1 grew old and died. Who helped me tend her during her final days? My formerly reluctant hubby, now a convert to cat fandom.

When Cat No. 2 first arrived, he seemed like an overgrown kitte, and seven years later, we still think of him as a youngster. So it came as a surprise when what we believed was an injured nose turned out to be cancer.

Currently, our freedom-loving but doting cat resides in our downstairs bathroom, wearing a flexible cone to protect his face and receiving medicine twice a day. His odds aren’t good, but we’re giving him every reasonable chance.

The problem is that we love him. Cats are like that. They sneak up on you.

10 comments:

C.Gwynn said...

Jacqueline, I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. It is so hard when a pet "family member" is sick. I am sending lots of love and healing thoughts your way.

I understand what you mean about cats sneaking up on you. They appear and steal your heart. We have three cats right now. They are so much fun to have around are just like our children.

I do want to give everyone a word of caution with kittens. If you are in a recliner with the leg up please have someone check under your chair before you put the leg down. We had a tragic accident with a kitten this way. Our son fell asleep in the recliner when he woke up he put the leg down and had no way of knowing the kitten was under the chair near the folding mechansism. The poor little thing was hurt very badly and we had to put her down. It was such a sad tragic accident. Since the accident a friend's kitten was saved from knowing the story about our kitten. I hope this story keeps someone else from the same heartache.

Christa said...

Praying for your cat. We have always had cats but when we found out that cats were one of triggers for his asthma, no more cats.
My sister has two cats and next week while she and my bil go to Winnipeg I'll be cat sitting.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your cat Hope he is doing better. I like kitties, well, I really like dogs better, but cats do have a way of creeping into your hearts.I had one actually tear a hole in my screendoor and came in and said I'm living here. And she did the rest of her life with my daughter, me and a dog.She was marked black and white like a Panda so guess what we named her? PandaBear.

Cathy McDavid said...

I'm a major cat lover, always have been. My heart goes out to you, Jacqueline, and your sick baby.

Cathy McDavid

J said...

Thinking positive thoughts for your cat.

catslady said...

I too am a cat lover. I currently have 6 and am getting a 7th lol. They are all strays or ferals (which I also take care of). I get the females fixed and have found homes (mostly mine lol) for many.
My husband brought the first stray home - little did he know lol.

It's very hard when they are sick or have to be put down but I wouldn't trade their companionship for the world.

Kathleen said...

I hope your cat makes a quick recovery! I don't have any cats but it is not fun when anyone you care about is sick :(

Jacqueline Diamond said...

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes! My cat is feeling fine so far but his prognosis isn't good. However, I'm grateful for the seven years we've had together.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about your cat to me a house isn't a house without a cat

Raihan said...

hi there..

i'm sorry to hear about your cat. your story got me a bit worried though because i just found a small wound on my cat Phatt's nose a few days ago.

he's not with me now, he's in quarantine (for 30 days!!) because we just relocated back to our home country. upon his arrival last week, he was visibly stressed and was shedding a lot of fur but there was no wound on his nose.

a few days later, i visited him again and thought his nose was dirty. what looked like dirt took away bits of his fur and skin when i tried to clean it off and Phatt struggled to get away as I was doing that so it was obviously a wound and it was hurting him. normally, he sits still when anyone tries to groom him.

i am very worried now. could you describe the appearance of the "injured nose" of your cat, please?

thanks very much. :)

raihan