Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Heroes and Heroines in Uniform

Did you have a nice Memorial Day?

In honor of our men and women in uniform, I rifled through my keeper shelf and revisited some of my favorite authors who write military heroes and heroines. I love soldiers and pilots and special forces guys, probably because these types of characters are so far removed from my own experiences. I've never even tried to write a military romance because I know nothing about the military.

Probably at the top of my list would be Merline Lovelace. Love her books, love her characters, and this retired Air Force colonel knows her stuff! Then there's the inimitable Suzanne Brockmann and her yummy Navy Seals. Of course this list wouldn't be complete without Catherine Mann. I read WEDDING AT WHITE SANDS as a contest entry, before Catherine had sold her first book, and I remember thinking Oh, my gosh, this woman is good! Then there's Cindy Dees, who writes with such depth and realism because she's been there! She was a U.S. Air Force pilot and actually flew in the Gulf War (the first one). Debbie Macomber has done some wonderful military-themed books, especially early in her career.

Of course I can't forget our own Laura Marie Altom. HER MILITARY MAN (January 2007) was wonderfully quirky. Another Harlequin American author, Bonnie Gardner, wrote one of the Millionaire, Montana books in which the hero, Sam, is a retired Navy Seal. That one made me cry!

Now those are just a smattering from my own shelves, and certainly not an all-inclusive list. Do you love heroes (and heroines) in uniform? Any must-reads you'd like to mention?

Hope your holiday was fun! (Mine was rainy.)

Kara

2 comments:

Christa said...

Kara
As soon as read your post my eyes flew to my keeper sehelf in the living room and landed right on an American. Judy Christenberry's A Soldier's Return. I can't remember if any of Altom's US Marshalls were ex-military. It's hard to remember which FBI agents, bounty hunters, bodyguards, sheriffs, government spy workers were ex military.
Usually here it rains on Victoria Day but this year it only rained on the Sat.

Kara Lennox said...

Christa--
Eek, I forgot Judy's book! She is in my critique group!

Hmm, now that I think about it, I wrote an ex-military hero in one of my bounty-hunter books, but I glossed over that part pretty quickly!

Kara