Wednesday, May 30, 2007

School's Out for Summer

As I write this, my classroom is quiet except for a bit of music playing over the smartboard speakers. The desks are empty. Out the window, a group of custodians is cleaning up the toilet paper decorating the courtyard trees. School let out today at 11:25, and by 11:25 tomorrow school will be officially over for the 2006-2007 school year.

Over the summer my room will be cleaned. The desks will be removed to be replaced with tables. I'm teaching all journalism courses next year and am thrilled with the change. I'll also sponsor the school yearbook and the school newspaper.

Summer is the time when I make my goals. I'm not really a "New Year" type of person. My new year begins in June, when I finish up, say goodbye to seniors I'll miss dearly, and turn my attention to renewing myself and recharging my batteries. My personal goals that I've set for myself include working my way up to running 3 miles and biking at least 40. Okay, 20. That's a good number. I live by the Katy Trail, a rail-to-trail, so I'll ride that a lot. My daughters and I all have bikes to ride.

I'm also attending a journalism advisers' workshop in Manhattan, KS. I'll be at RWA. I'll be writing at least 2 books by August, and the first three chapters of another. The summer calendar is mostly blank, but it's going to be very busy.

I'll try to do some gardening, will live quite a lot at Six Flags, and will see the Police and Goo Goo Dolls two days apart when they come to St. Louis for their respective concerts. I'll also simply sit around and relax. Hopefully I'll read a lot of great books. That's the plan, anyway.

As May ends and we move into June, as the AC goes into high gear, as spring slides into summer, be sure to enjoy every minute.

Michele

1 comment:

Lee McKenzie said...

Michelle,

You’re going to the Police concert? I’m so envious. They spent the past few weeks rehearsing in Vancouver and kicked off their tour with three concerts! Unfortunately for me, concerts in Vancouver involve a ferry trip and an overnight stay, and I couldn’t make time for it. Please tell all after you’ve seen them play. Anyone else planning to take in a concert on their North American tour?

Lee