Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Two summer recipes

Since summer is half over (already!) I thought I'd better share both of these summer recipes with you this month. Both look scrumptious!

Spicy Melon Boat
This is one of my favorite summer dishes. It's perfect for picnics or outdoor BBQs, but keep in mind it's not PG rated.
20 servings

1 large watermelon, carved
2 cantaloupes
2 15-oz cans pineapple chunks, drained
grapes
cherries
blueberries
other fruit in season

Tequila Sauce
1 cup tequila
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup grenadine

Shape fruit in cubes, balls or slices. In a large mixing bowl, combine all fruit. In a separate bow mix the tequila, orange juice, powdered sugar and grenadine. Pour Tequila Sauce over fruit and mix. Fill the watermelon shell with the fruit mixture. Refrigerate overnight.

Enjoy,
Ann DeFee
***********************************
Potato Salad
My mom's potato salad... Just typing it makes me think of family get-togethers. Our first taste of the year was usually Easter (to use up the boiled eggs, making it a very colorful salad sometimes), and we'd continue to have potato salad throughout the summer. Mom didn't allow us in the kitchen, and she didn't use written recipes or standard measuring devices. A "cup" of some ingredient meant a cup from the cupboard (or a mug); a teaspoon was the one we ate with and a Tablespoon was the one we served with. Mom cooked from experience, and her food was delicious. We still haven't been able to duplicate her fudge recipe, more's the pity.
I've learned a few things while trying to cook Mom's specialties, so below is MY potato salad recipe with the changes marked (*). Enjoy!


My potato salad recipe:
5 lbs red potatoes, boiled, peeled, and diced
3-6* eggs, boiled, peeled and diced
≤-1* small jar sweet pickles, chopped
1/2 jar Miracle Whip or till it looks right
Splash of pickle juice
Several shakes of celery seed
1-2 Tb sugar*

*Optional: squirt of mustard and/or some chopped white onion

Megan Kelly
megankellybooks.com

5 comments:

Leigh Duncan said...

Mouth-watering fruit in that watermelon dish, Ann. I'd have to skip the sauce -- too many little kids running around -- but yum-my! And Megan, that potato salad recipe is almost identical to mine, except I use mayo instead of Miracle Whip. Ooooh, I love homemade potato salad.

penney said...

Thanks for the recipes Megan, they sounds great,
Penney

Anonymous said...

I love good potato salad and that sounds great. I make a mustard potato salad but haven't made any in a while. We used to have a big fourth of July celebration at my parents but since they are elderly now with health problems we don't do it any more. I miss those days.

Linda Henderson

Lynn Cahoon said...

Megan, except for the red potatoes (we were in Idaho...) your recipe could match my mom's! I learned my cooking style from her so I don't measure much, unless I'm using a new recipe. And, I can't make just a little bit. Sigh...

Megan Kelly said...

Linda, how does your mustard potato salad differ? I've only made this one.
Leigh, Penney and Lynn - Maybe there was a "basic" potato salad recipe back in the day which our ancestors passed along because it seems this recipe is pretty universal. Still it tastes like home to me, even when I make it.