Saturday, August 08, 2009

ON THE WAY TO( THE CONFERENCE...

On the blog in July I wrote about being a little nervous about the conference and the flight. I hadn’t been on a plane since I wrote Texas Heir. The story involved a plane crash. All the research into plane crashes made me a bit leery. I knew it was all in my head so I had no problem boarding the plane. I was excited. The time had finally arrived to go to DC.

The plane was extremely warm and several people complained. The stewardess said once the plane took off it would get cooler. It didn’t. It got hotter. I was soaked with sweat, as was everyone else. The complaints started again and we were told to be patient. At this point, I think everyone on the plane knew something was wrong.

I had an aisle seat. A guy had the window seat and he closed the shade, or whatever it’s call. You know how small those seats are. The back of the other seat is right in front of you. I felt as if I was in a dark, deep hole and I was getting claustrophobic. I had just finished a book where a little girl falls into an abandoned well. I was getting that suffocating feeling as if I was in that hole.

I leaned over and asked the guy to please open the shade. He said, “Why? It won’t let any air in.”

I replied, “I’d just like to see the sky, clouds, something.”

Hearing the desperation in my voice he opened the shade. I could breathe again. The pilot came on the intercom and said there was a problem and we were returning to Houston. People demanded answers, but they didn’t get any. I was just trying to breathe. We were told to buckle our seat belts and that we would get details later. The plane became very quiet.

We landed safely and fire trucks surrounded us. We were told to stay in our seats. Firemen came aboard in aluminum looking suits with high powered extinguishers and went into the cockpit. Evidently there was a short in the AC unit. After about ten minutes, we were told to quietly and quickly leave the plane. After that we were instructed where to go to board another plane.

I thought I had about all the excitement I could stand so I called my husband. I was ready to go home. He didn’t answer. After dropping us off, he went to the Bass Pro shop and evidently guys don’t take their phones in there. It’s like a shire or something. So reluctantly I boarded the other plane and went to DC. And had the time of my life! Now I enjoy writing but I don’t want to personally experience some of the scenes I write.

The conference ended too quickly. I saw a lot of the American authors and got to visit, and met some new ones. Dinner at the Ritz with Kathleen, Johanna and Paula was wonderful.

Cathy Gillen Thacker, Cathy McDavid, Johanna, CC Coburn.. me and Kathleen.
Kathleen and I at the Ritas.
Cindi and I after the Ritas.








Cindi nor I won the Rita, but it was an amazing night. It was great to see two Americans flash on that big screen.
Next year for Nashville, I’m thinking about driving, or at least talk the hubby into it.

Linda
www.lindawarren.net
2009 RITA® Finalist TEXAS HEIR
Caitlyn’s Prize – July ‘09
Madison’s Children – Oct ‘09
Skylar’s Outlaw – Jan ‘10

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a white knuckle flyer. I haven't flown in years. I always say, "If I can't drive there, I don't want to go." My oldest daughter flew to Hawaii and she said even though she loved flying she hated flying over water for so long. My youngest daughter flew to a Girl Scout thing when she was 12 and the first plane she was scheduled to be on broke down. Then we had to drive an hour away to catch another flight. Then when she was coming home (by herself this time) she got stranded in Memphis for hours because they had mechanical problems and when she called to tell me she said they were going to be delayed because they had to go to a salvage yard and get parts for the plane. Now even though I knew they weren't getting parts from a salvage yard I was in panic city. I was on the phone to the airline in a hurry. Turns out they are not allowed to strand a minor anywhere but unfortunately they didn't stamp minor on her ticket. Believe me, they scrambled double time to get her home.

Linda Henderson

Linda Warren said...

Linda,
OMG!! Parts from a salvage yard? Even the thought would have put me in panic city, too. I'm glad they scrambled to get your daughter home, as they should have.

I'm happy I don't have to fly for a while. I'm giving the memory time to fade. LOL

Happy travels.
Linda

EllenToo said...

I don't fly anywhere mainly because I am claustrophobic and suffer extreme motion sickness and yes I know they say there are ways to prevent these things but..... I'm like Linda H--if I can't drive there I don't go.
But I am glad you had a wonderful time at the convention.

Linda Warren said...

Ellen,
Thank you.

I've never had that claustrophobic feeling before and it was scary. Maybe I'll become a land person, too.

Linda

Michele Dunaway said...

I don't like to fly, but one of my former students is a pilot, and I usually have an okay time once I'm on the plane since now I know how it works. Plus there was that time I sat by the physics teacher. I've met really great people. My friend Jake has flown over a million miles, and he's not a pilot. He just got in from a big group trip to Paris and Austria. One day I'm going too.

In November I'll be flying with about 10 high school students to Washington DC. Getting them through the airport is entertaining. We're flying on American into Reagan, which is interesting as you fly in along the potomac, and just when you think you're about to be in the water, you land on a runway. (One time I could clearly see the guy in the fishing boat waving to us.)

Linda, glad you are okay and you had fun in DC. And hopefully the flight home was fine.

Linda Warren said...

Hi Michele,
Paris and Austria sounds like a dream trip. I hope you go.

We flew into Reagan and, yes, we could see the water. It was a welcome sight.

The flight home was okay, except Houston was having thunderstorms. It was like a rollercoaster ride right onto the tarmac. That didn't bother me near as bad as that suffocating feeling. I was so glad to finally arrive home.

Linda

Anonymous said...

Linda- What a harrowing travel experience! I used to love flying, but now it's such a hassle. Still, the cost is low. (Really, prices haven't gone up in decades. What other business has kept their costs so even? Small wonder airlines are going bankrupt...)

It was great seeing you in D.C. I was/am so proud of you and Cindi for representing Americans so well at the awards ceremony.

Linda Warren said...

Hi Ann,
Thank you. It's was great getting to visit with you for a little while. The whole conference seems like a blur now. It went so fast and I didn't get to see all the AM authors I wanted to.

Flying is a hassle, but if everything goes smoothly it's much faster. I keep telling myself that. LOL

Linda