Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Life and labyrinths

Last week, a friend invited me to walk a labyrinth. In my head I pictured tall, meticulously pruned bushes with lots of possibilities, some leading to dead ends. Not so, I soon learned. Those are mazes.

A labyrinth, which has no walls at all, is a series of curves and pathways. If you stay inside the lines, the path eventually leads to the center of the labyrinth. The one my friend and I walked was in the yard of an Episcopal Church near Seattle Center.

I loved walking the path and following all those twists and turns. Loved passing my friend as we both moved along. In my mind, the labyrinth is a metaphor for life. We all experience our share of ups and downs and ins and outs, but no matter what happens, we somehow continue on, learning and growing and hopefully, getting it right.

Writing is like that, too. Sometimes we get it right, sometimes not, but the only way to succeed is to keep growing and learning.

I’m curious- have you ever walked a labyrinth or a maze? If so, did you take any life lessons from the experience?

Wishing you growth and learning and good things,
Ann
www.annroth.net
A Father for Jesse
July RT Top Pick!

7 comments:

Lynn Cahoon said...

We've always been taught that the fastest way to somewhere is a straight line. But life doesn't work that way, does it?

I've never walked a maze or a labyrinth. Back home they used to do a corn maze every year for halloween. Now I wish I had tried. It just felt too Stephen King for me. But maybe that's the point, to open yourself up to a world outside your normal senses.

Sara said...

No, I have never walked a labyrinth - and darn it I was in town the other day and noticed that one of the churches had a labyrinth open that day...

Maybe they will do it again...and this time I will walk it...

Estella said...

Have never even seen a labyrinth.

Anonymous said...

Lynn- I like what you said. You're so right, life just isn't a straight line. Maybe you'll find a maze to try sometime soon. I've heard that churches often have labyrinths in the yard, so you might want to check around.

Sara- The labyrinth we visited is open all year round, so you probably still have a chance.

Estella- Check with local churches!

shelley galloway said...

Ann,

wow, I've never heard of a labyrinth! I think I'd like it since you can see all around. Here in Ohio, corn mazes are everywhere in the fall. Lots of high school kids go at night. The last time we went as a family my son got through in record time. The rest of us were hopelessly lost. He ended up having to toss up ears of corn to guide us out! It was quite a scene, all of us looking into the sky for a sign.

And yes, sometimes my writing has felt very maze-like too.

Shelley

Anonymous said...

Shelley- I'd have liked to have seen that!! How're you doing, now that your son is all grown up? (Big milestone, starting college.)

Barbara White Daille said...

Ann - love your analogy.

No, I've never walked a labyrinth or a maze, but I need to check one out, since the proposal I'm currently working on just happens to have a maze in it!

Meanwhile, thanks for the timely post.

Barbara
http://www.barbarawhitedaille.com