Sunday, May 24, 2009

Will the Real Lee McKenzie Please Stand Up?

Have you ever Googled yourself? Typed your name, in quotation marks, and clicked the search button? If you have, you'll know that all sorts of interesting things might turn up, including other people who have the same name.

Google has an “alert” function that makes this process even easier. Most authors set up a Google Alert for their names, book titles, etc., and receive an email notice every time they’re mentioned on the Internet. Very useful for keeping track of things like reviews, mentions on other blogs, and so on.

It came as no surprise to me that I am not the only Lee McKenzie on the planet—both my first and last names are very common—but I will confess to being a little surprised that a number of us are women who are involved in arts and entertainment.

C. Lee McKenzie, another author, writes YA and children’s fiction. Her debut novel, Sliding on the Edge, was released last month. I haven't read her book yet, but I plan to. How could I not read a novel by another Lee McKenzie? Check out the cover on her website. The title and imagery are intriguing.




Lee Mackenzie (slightly different spelling) is an artist who lives on Canada’s west coast. Be sure to check out the Gallery on her website—her watercolors are absolutely gorgeous.


Then there is Lee McKenzie, the British sports reporter. She describes herself as “a journalist who has moved off the pages and on to the television.” Right now she covers Formula One racing for the BBC, and she also runs a media training and PR company.

I recently received a Google alert that led me to this comment on another sports journalist’s blog: “The only thing I want to know is this...is Lee McKenzie married? And do I stand any chance whatsoever? What a woman...I could spend 2 hours just looking at that face.”

LOL! I didn’t spend a single second wondering if I was the object of that viewer’s affection, and here’s why. This is me. Lee McKenzie, Harlequin American Romance author.

I have never met these other Lees, but I’m in awe of their talent and honored to share the name with them, so I’m inviting all the other Lee McKenzies to please stand up and take a bow. What wonderful company to be in!

And now back to my opening question. Have you ever Googled yourself? What did you find out?

Until next time,
Lee

PS: Today I’m doing a giveaway on my blog, The Writer Side of Life. If you post a comment here and/or there, your name goes into the draw!

24 comments:

Sheryl Dunn said...

Hi, Lee,

Me, again. Love your picture, BTW. Shows your delightfully twisted sense of humour.

Besos,
Sheryl

Lee McKenzie said...

Thanks, Sheryl! I knew it was slightly twisted, but it's good to know it's delightfully so ;)

Anonymous said...

Great blog, Lee! Interesting... and entertaining!
:)
Cheers,
Joy

Lee McKenzie said...

Thanks, Joy! Thanks for dropping by!

Michele Dunaway said...

I google myself all the time. It helps me keep track of things the alerts don't find, like foreign editions or things people post on myspace or youtube.

There are two other Michele Dunaways. One is Michelle Dunaway Walker, an artist. The other is Michelle Dunaway, a reporter on the 9 & 10 news somewhere in Michigan. I eat up the first 8 pages of google searches, LOL.

Michele Dunaway said...

I google myself all the time. It helps me keep track of things the alerts don't find, like foreign editions or things people post on myspace or youtube.

There are two other Michele Dunaways. One is Michelle Dunaway Walker, an artist. The other is Michelle Dunaway, a reporter on the 9 & 10 news somewhere in Michigan. I eat up the first 8 pages of google searches, LOL.

Michele Dunaway said...

How's that. Stupid blogger posted it twice. Sigh. Now I look even more vain.

M

Estella said...

I have googled myself numerous times and found out just how many blogs I frequent.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed readng the comments. I am always looking for different authors to read'
JOYE
JWIsleyATaol.com

robynl said...

have never googled myself, honestly. Will do that right after this. Thanks.

Lee McKenzie said...

LOL, Michele! Blogger often has a mind of its own.

It's probably just me, but I find it fascinating that the other Michele/Michelle Dunaways are also in the arts and entertainment.

Lee McKenzie said...

Estella, your comment cracked me up!

Lee McKenzie said...

Joye, glad you stopped by. Happy reading!

Lee McKenzie said...

robynl, I hope you'll come back and let us know what Google revealed.

Shelagh said...

what a fun idea! it is certainly cool that you have found these other creative women with whom you have a name connection. Of course there are no other people with my name, and when I search for it I get asked by Google, Did you mean: "sean mcanally"?

Like I didn't get enough of that all my life!! ha ha....

Lee McKenzie said...

Shelagh, thanks for the smile :)

Minna said...

I have googled myself a few times, when I've needed to find some text I've written on one blog or another.

tatt3r said...

I got an email from a woman who googled her maiden name and found me. We share an unusual first name, but added to that with a shared last name. Unfortunately we didn't do a total flip-flop because my maiden name is really off the charts. Lenore

Lee McKenzie said...

Minna, what a great idea! Thanks for sharing that.

Lee McKenzie said...

tatt3r, thanks for sharing that story. So interesting.

A couple of years ago I wrote an online article about my grandmother, and two enexpected things happened. Right away I received an email from someone in a Romance Writers of America chapter I had recently joined. She not only knew my grandmother, she was my grandmother's niece, which of course made her my cousin!

Then I received an email from a man in Finland, where my grandmother was born. He's doing research for a book about Finns who immigrated to NAm, and he gave me the details about her Finnish emigration records, the ship she sailed on, etc.

People often say, "it's a small world." Google has made it a lot smaller.

BTW, I took a quick peek at your three blogs. The things you knit are absolutely stunning, and Kaylee is adorable! She must be like big warm teddy bear.

cleemckenzie said...

We almost have enough Lees for a convention. Great idea, Lee. Lee

Lee McKenzie said...

Wow! I'm beyond thrilled that one of the other Lees stopped by the blog! If you organize the convention, I'll be there :)

Beverly Carstensen said...

Hi Lee!! What a fun thing to do. I googled myself, Beverly Hooks, and found out there is a famous artist with MY name on Bainbridge Island in Washington: http://www.beverlyhooks.com/ I love her work and thought it would be so cool to hang one of her paintings in my home. People would be very shocked to lean in to read the artist's signature and see my name there. LOL!!

Lee McKenzie said...

Beverly, thanks for posting the link to the artist Beverly's website. You're right - her paintings are beautiful - and I love that she's a Romantic Impressionist!