Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Pardon me while I show my geekdom

Since I write for Harlequin American, I'm often thinking up stories about everyday people who could be my neighbors. I dream up small towns, casts of down-to-earth characters, and heroes and heroines who are carpenters, ranchers, firefighters, restaurant owners, police officers and the like. The hero in my May release, Her Very Own Family, is a carpenter/owner of a construction company. I like these kinds of stories and characters because they speak to all of us.

But I have a confession to make, another type of story that calls to me as a reader/viewer. I'm a total sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal geek girl, and love the heroes in them. I count Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Roswell, Smallville, Legend of the Seeker, and Stargate Atlantis among my favorite shows. Captain Malcolm Reynolds in Firefly is probably my favorite hero from those because he's funny, full of fantastic one-liners, will do anything for his crew, has a reigned passion for the beautiful Inara, and is definitely a man of action. He's a warrior and a bit of a scoundrel, but also has a caring streak that he'd be hesitant to admit.

You know what's interesting? The characters in these types of shows often have to face the same types of issues that the characters in our hearth-and-home Harlequin American stories face -- what seems like insurmountable odds, family issues, falling for the person who seems to be totally wrong for them, trying to find their place in the world, fitting in, etc. The heroes often embody many of the same qualities we see in our American romance heroes.























Take the new Star Trek movie (which, btw, is awesome!), for example. James T. Kirk is a rebellious young man who lost his father before he ever knew him and is on a self-destructive path until given a purpose. Spock is a product of two worlds and doesn't feel as if he truly belongs in either. Leonard "Bones" McCoy is adrift with nowhere else to go after a bitter divorce. I'm sure you've all seen characters in romance novels who could fit into one of those descriptions. It just goes to show that no matter the genre or backdrop for a story, there are universal themes and situations we can all relate to and which make the basis of compelling stories. Kirk, Spock and Bones might not start out the movie as heroes, but by the end they can wear that title with pride.

Anyone else out there willing to admit some sci-fi/fantasy/paranormal geekitude? Anyone seen the new J.J. Abrams-helmed Star Trek? What did you think? Any other Captain Mal fans?

9 comments:

Magdalena Scott said...

Saw the new Star Trek movie yesterday afternoon, and LOVED IT!

Leigh Duncan said...

I loved the new Star Trek, too, but I probably should have read the reviews before seeing it. It took a few minutes to figure out that this was a prequel and the main characters were going to survive. I do love my happy endings. :)

Trish Milburn said...

Magdalena, thanks for stopping by. Glad you enjoyed the movie. So, which character did you enjoy the most? BTW, I've been reading a YA series by Rosemary Clement-Moore, the heroine of which is named Magdalena (though she goes by Maggie).

Trish Milburn said...

Leigh, I think that's what really attracts many of us to romance -- the happy endings. I know I love going into a book knowing that no matter what happens along the way, everything will be okay in the end.

Joanne Kasunic said...

I must admit I am also a huge geek. I love Battlestar Galactica and the "romance" between Starbuck and Lee! I just wished the show had taken their relationship a little further.

Trish Milburn said...

Jo, I totally agree about Lee and Starbuck! I was disappointed by how things ended on that front.

And Lee -- talk about hunky hero material. :) In fact, the book I'm currently working on for American uses him (actor Jamie Bamber) as the model.

Magdalena Scott said...

Trish, I liked all the "new" characters, but I think I like Bones the best. He's just about perfect.

;)

Trish Milburn said...

Magdalena, he's my favorite too. I was already a Karl Urban fan, and he's just fantastic in this. Totally nailed the Bones character.

Minna said...

Yes, I'm definitely a geek. By the way, have you seen Starwreck? It's a parody of Star Trek and Babylon 5, made by a bunch of Finns. You can download it legally for free from their website. Captain Pirk is the exact opposite of captain Kirk...