Friday, May 08, 2009

HEROES AND MOTHERS

This month we’re talking about heroes, and since Sunday is Mother’s Day my thoughts are drawn to my mother. She passed away in 2000. Sunday I will be a little sad, but I’ll remember all the things about her that made me laugh. Made me wiser and a better person.

One of the things I remember most was her courage in an era when men made all the decisions and controlled the money. My parents grew cotton, corn and raised cattle in rural Texas. My mother worked as hard as my dad, but her name wasn't on their checking account. She wanted her name on that account. My dad said no. He’d give her whatever she needed (This was in the sixties). That didn’t suit her. She said if she couldn’t write checks then she was getting a job and making her own money. My dad kind of laughed at that. But that’s exactly what she did. There was a lot of quiet around our house during that time.

One night my dad laid a piece of paper on the table with a checkbook. My mother’s name was on it. She stood up for what she wanted and got it. I admired her courage, and her dry wit always made me laugh. When we disagreed, she had a way of making me think. Usually by making up stuff(Guess I got that creative gene from her).

Here’s some of the made up stuff when she didn’t want me to do something (She never said no. She let me make the decision – kind of):
(When I wanted to buy red fingernail polish)
If you paint your fingernails red, it will make you look cheap. (How cheap could a twelve year old look? But it was effective)

If you color your hair, you’ll look like a hooker. (Geez. I was sixteen and just wanted to get my hair frosted.)

(When I started dating) Never date a guy to spite your mother. That’s just rude.

If you lie to your mother, you’ll tongue will turn green. (My brothers and I looked at our tongues in the mirror a lot.)

If you curse, you’ll get you mouth washed out with soap. (My dad said my oldest brother had a bar of soap named after him.)

My favorite—(Right before I was leaving for college this was her sage advice.) Now you’re going to meet a lot of guys, but before you even think about marriage, take a good look at the fellow’s face and ask yourself if you want to see that mug across the breakfast table for the rest of your life. (Of course I laughed, but I thought about it with every guy I thought was the one, which is what she wanted me to do.)

So here’s to mother’s everywhere who guide us through life with wisdom, humor and a little guilt thrown in for good measure.

So, yes, to me, my mother is a hero. How about you? Any thoughts about your mother?

www.lindawarren.net
Caitlyn’s Prize – July ‘09

16 comments:

Lee McKenzie said...

Linda! What a lovely tribute to your mother. Reading it was a wonderful way to start the day.

Wishing a happy Mother's Day to American Romance authors and readers.

Lee

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely way to remember your mother, Linda!

One of my mother's messages that I tote around every day is to always leave a place better than I found it. How I do that is up to me; she never specified. But she did set an example.
She recycled, composted, picked up candy wrappers on hiking trails, and was generous with her time, skills and money.

Here's to moms!

Rachel

Linda Warren said...

Lee,
Thank you. It really felt good to write it.
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Rachel,
My mother was like that, too. I leaned a lot just by watching her and the way she handled life.

Yay for moms!
Linda

Trish Milburn said...

Linda, I love your mom's spunk. What a cool lady.

I just ordered surprise flowers for my mom. I'm sure she'll call as soon as the delivery person leaves.

Teri Thackston said...

My mother gave me some of that same advice. She made sense then and she still makes sense with her advice today.

Thanks, Linda, for that wonderful blog.

Linda Warren said...

Trish,
You know she'll call. I could never send my mom flowers because they lived so far out in the country so I'd take them with me when I went out there. It always had to be something growing in a pot or something she could plant. I always wanted to buy a big bouquet of roses, but I knew better. I bought the rose bush.

Oh, the lessons we learn.
Thanks,
Linda

Jo Anne said...

Hey, Linda - thanks for that 'mom' story. I'm pretty sure my mom's name was on the checking account. She thought she was dependent, but she was very much the adventurer.

She left paradise (Hawaiian Islands) in 1945 with my dad and moved to Oklahoma - flat, hot, dry and brown. Talk about a culture shock!

My favorites little reminders are "You know what happened to Pinnochio's nose," and "Busy hands are happy hands."

I lost my mom in 1997. It's something we're never ready for and never really get over. Mom was fun-loving and playful, courageous and street-wise. We'll be toasting her with mimosas at our family's Mother's Day's brunch on Sunday.

Thanks for triggering lots of good memories, Linda.

Lise said...

When my Father deserted the family in 1968, my Mother had a 13 year old daughter (me), a 10 year old son, and an 8 year old mentally retarded son. A 1954 bride, she had no credit history, no bank account, she could not drive and didn't have a job or any training. She took a driving course, went to a secretarial school, and got her own bank account. She gave me a subscription to MS magazine and a membership in NOW for my 18th birthday and told me I should always be prepared to take care of myself. And after a bad summer - I didn't take her advice and got "in trouble" - she gave me a scrapbook filled with pictures and motivational quotes and an envelope that was filled with gold stars. Not only that, but she passed on her love of books and learning, her insatiable curiosity, and her ability to use tools and be tough and independent. She has lost some of her independence. She retired, she has health problems, and has to put up with living with me because she is not physically able to do all that she needs to in the house. But everything she has taught me, and all that I have observed in her, have stood me in good stead all my life. Happy Mother's Day Mom!

Linda Warren said...

Teri,
When I was growing up, I thought my mom was too strict. But as I grew older I appreciate all her wisdom and quaint sayings. I will miss her Sunday.

Have a great day on Sunday with your mom.

Thank you for stopping by.
Linda

Carly Carson said...

I love the story about the checkbook. A great tribute to your mom.

Carly

Anonymous said...

Linda, what a wonderful post about your mom. I didn't realize how heroic my mom was until she passed. She moved her family 3000 miles across country to protect her children from her crazy family.

Linda Warren said...

Jo Anne,
From Hawaii to Oklahoma - oh my, what a change. She really loved your father!

I wish I had kept a list of all things my mother made up just to get our attention. I think a lot of her shows up in my books.

You're right, we're never ready to let go. Have a wonderful Mother's Day.
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Lise,
Your story brought tears to my eyes. What a courageous mother you have. And what a wonderful daughter you are for taking care of her. Keeping loving her with the greatest care. I know your Mother's Day will be special.

Thank you for sharing your story.
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Carly,
Thank you. My dad had nothing to worry about. My mom could pinch a penny until it screamed.
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Jilljames,
Now your mom's a hero. That took enormous courage and I know you're grateful she took that leap of faith and left.
Enjoy Mother's Day.
Linda