Saturday, May 09, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

It's a day early but my blog is nearly a day late since I was busy getting ready for a Mother's Day celebration tomorrow. Like Linda, I also think of my mother as my hero. She raised seven kids. Sometimes I struggle raising two. :) I don't know how she managed -- even with my father's help. Since I come from a big family, our celebrations are big! Lots of cooking and cleaning required beforehand -- neither one of them being my favorite thing to do. I'd much rather be writing. :)

My May Harlequin American, ONCE A HERO, is the second book in my Citizens Police Academy series. I've always been partial to lawmen heroes. What's not to love about a man who's sworn to protect and serve?

I came up with the idea for this series when, a few years ago, I joined my city's citizens police academy. I learned so much about law enforcement -- mostly that it's nothing like most television shows portray it. Most times it's a tough, thankless job that takes a special person to want to do it. (Kind of like being a mother. :)) I think for most police officers that it's more a calling than a profession -- something the person not just wants to do but can't not do. Kind of like being a writer. :)

If your city has a citizens police academy, you might want to sign up and get some insight into the people who've sworn to protect and serve you. Like me, I'll bet your appreciation will grow for these impressive heroes.

Tomorrow is all about honoring those other special heroes in our lives -- our moms! So I better get back to my party preparations. I will check back in to the comments to draw a winner for an autographed copy of ONCE A LAWMAN, the first book in the Citizens Police Academy series. Let me know what special things you're doing for Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day & Happy Reading!
Lisa Childs

5 comments:

housemouse88 said...

Hello Lisa,

Happy Mother's Day to all. Hope your celebration goes off with out a hitch tomorrow. Love the idea of your books. Who doesn't love a man in uniform? Have a great day.

robynl said...

men in uniform are to my liking as well; it would be interesting to find out what all is involved and the toughness of the job.

Happy mother's day everyone.

Lisa Childs said...

Men in uniform are definitely a favorite of mine! :) I enjoyed every aspect of the Citizens Police Academy though. The other participants were a lot of fun. And the cop I did my "ride-along" inspired my upcoming September book -- a female officer who was very pretty but very strong and brave. You should definitely check out if your city has a citizens police academy! Thanks for the comments!

And once again, Happy Mother's Day!
Lisa

penney said...

Happy Mother's day everyone!
Happy reading
Penney

robynl said...

I forgot to say what our plans for Mother's day were; we had a friend/neighbour over for dinner and she brought some movies with and we watched one. I cooked baked potatoes, cutlets with mushroom gravy and peas, carrot cake with Cream Cheese icing.