Monday, April 20, 2009

Phoenix


By the time you read this, I'll be back in the classroom, sorting out from being gone for two class days with my students in Phoenix, AZ. Today is a wacky schedule as there's End of Course testing (the new state of Missouri testing thing) and the spring pep assembly last hour. I'll only see 1/2 of my classes, and yearbook will not be one of them. I won't even have my plan time.

The photo above is of me (I'm in the yellow sweater) and my students at dinner Thursday night. It's tradition to all go out somewhere nice on the Thursday of convention.
We arrived at Phoenix around 8 PM Wednesday night. Check in was smooth and really everyone simply crashed as Phoenix was in the 50s and windy. Heck, we had that at home. Thursday was warmer and a group had classes and some of us rode the light rail into the Mill District by ASU in Tempe. Friday was classes and competition, and by Saturday when we had to leave, of course the weather was great. Then we left, and flew right into rain and more high 50s, which hung around even through Sunday.

My students had an awesome time. The only issue we really had was boarding the plane, and realizing the the concierge hadn't printed one of my student's boarding passes for Southwest. So we ran to the counter to get that. Then I discovered going through security that my daughter had failed to remove two bottles of water from the carry on. Of course, I had that bag at the time as I'd swapped it with her when I went back to the counter for the missing boarding pass, so I got to endure the bag check and the joy of getting my shoes swabbed. Thank goodness I always wear socks so I don't have to walk barefoot on that nasty floor.

All in all it was a successful trip, especially since I got the honor of sitting by the cute junior boy that they all ogled the entire flight. His English teacher was making him read a Nora Roberts novel in class and so I told him I'd met her, which I have.
The ride did get bumpy at times with a few lovely stomach dropping moments which made reading impossible, but we did get home safe and sound around 10:15 PM. I found out Sunday morning that two of my students placed in national writing competition they'd done with in Phoenix, taking the equivilant of second place, so that was awesome. My students also snuck into my "featured speaker" session on Friday, and came away with "We didn't realize you were somebody" as over 100 people came to hear me talk about how you write and sell a book. Now we just have to hit the big yearbook deadline on Friday night.

If you are ever curious about exactly what I do, aside from yearbook and newspaper, you can check out the news at http://www.fhhstoday.com/ which is my students' online news site.

Michele

6 comments:

Marin Thomas said...

Michele

Your students on-line newspaper is very impressive--they're done a fantastic job covering so much information. Love the "Green" aspect of it, too.

Marin
A Cowboy's Promise (April 09)
www.marinthomas.com

Trish Milburn said...

How fun about the boy having to read a Nora novel for class. And I seem to have that luck too with weather -- going on vacation somewhere warm just as they're having a cool spell.

EllenToo said...

Congratulations on your two students placing in national writing competition. LOL at your students sneaking in to hear your speech and their comment. So have your students been teasing you about having to be checked at security checkpoint?

Michele Dunaway said...

Ellen,

They knew I wasn't happy, that was for sure. It was already crazy as I had 5 of them through security by that point--that's how we found out we were missing a boarding pass.

I guess I'll learn to double check and not rely on others. Sheesh.

Michele Dunaway said...

Thanks Marin.

And amazingly enough, there are student sites out there better than ours and we are still perfecting. We've only been "live" since February and it's all student done. I don't do a thing.

Michele Dunaway said...

Hopefully next time Trish you'll get perfect weather. We are actually having some of that tomorrow if all goes according to plan. The nice thing with all the rain is that my hosta and lilies are rocking out.