Wednesday, April 22, 2009

To Auction I Will Go

Next week, Brenda Novak begins her annual auction for diabetes research. This is her fifth year, and the biggest auction yet. If you’ve never stopped by to take a peek, I hope you will. It’s a treasure trove of fun things for readers and writers. (go to www.brendanovak.com for more information)


Editors and agents are offering to look at manuscripts and proposals-some with a week response time. For those of you who’ve submitted, you know how exciting that is. There’s also all kinds of ‘once in a life time’ trips, Kindles, lunch meetings, and dinner coupons. There are also all kinds of things that have nothing to do with writing at all-items like designer handbags, jewelry, Starbucks cards, and paintings.

This year I’m donating two prizes. The first is a collection of six of my Harlequins, along with a Barnes and Noble card so you can go buy more books, too. The second is a gift basket of Amish goodies. That’s listed under my ‘other’ name, Shelley Shepard Gray.

All in all, I enjoy Brenda’s auction just for the sheer enjoyment of spending a little bit of time each day dreaming about possibilities. I imagine bidding for a lunch with Debbie Macomber. I wonder what I’d say if I was lucky enough to sit with some of the editors and agents for afternoon tea. During the month, I bid on all kinds of things. Books and baskets and Mary Kay gift certificates. Rarely do I ever bid high enough to claim the prize, but it's a lot of fun! Dreaming about possibilities and bidding on books seems like a great way to celebrate the month of May.

I know I’m not the only one to donate and/or bid. What have some of you donated? Has anyone besides me ever bid on an item? Best of luck to you all, and Happy May!

Shelley

2 comments:

Marin Thomas said...

Hi Shelley

Great plug for Brenda's auction-- it's such a worthy cause! One of my donations is a set of the first three books I wrote for Harlequin.

I've been blessed that several of my newsletter members help me support Brenda's auction each year by bidding on my books.

Romance Readers are the best, aren't they!

Marin Thomas
A Cowboy's Promise (April 09)
www.marinthomas.com

Megan Kelly said...

Last year, our chapter got together a basket of books and bookstore gift certificates, including two authors doing 1st chapter critiques: one for a contemporary and one historical. If you haven't done this, consider it for next year's auction.