Thursday, April 23, 2009

How Does My Garden Grow?

Some years ago I used to plant a lovely vegetable garden every spring. In those days, I had more time and energy to tend a garden. Nowadays, I'm lucky if I can manage to set the sprinkler out and water the grass twice a week.


For reasons I can't quite explain, I decided this spring to attempt another small garden, mostly tomatoes and a couple peppers (must have been struck with a wave of acute nostalgia). So, anyway, trowel in hand, I set to work and was quite pleased with my efforts...until the next morning when our dog, Miss Jules, dug up all my plants.

Now, let me explain a littel about Miss Jules. We've only owned her three months. She came to live with us on her way to the pound - where she was heading because of a chronic and out of control chewing habit (I told myself she was still a puppy and would out grow this). In hindsight, we were ignorant not to expect trouble.

Upon viewing the destruction of my little garden, I immediately chided Miss Jules. Later that day, I went to the store, purchased new plants, and then restored my garden to its pre-dog-dug-up state. Next morning, same thing. Mass destruction everywhere. I was mad. The dog's behavior was simply unacceptable. My son jumped to Miss Jules' defense, wanting to know why I automatically assumed she'd dug up the plants and not our other dog. I don't know. You examine the clues with me and judge for yourself.


Teeth marks on the hose

A big hole by the rose bush
Bits of chewed sprinkler lines scattered in the yard


I re-planted the garden three times in all and swore if Miss Jules dug it up a fourth time, I was calling it quits. So far, my luck's been holding. About a month has passed, and I have baby tomatoes. Yay!!

However, as you can imagine I can't let Miss Jules out in the back yard without constant adult supervision. Bad dog.






Happy Spring, my friends,


Cathy McDavid







2 comments:

Marin Thomas said...

Cathy--Love Miss Jules! I've got a couple of mutts who like to mess up our yard too :-)

Marin Thomas
www.marinthomas.com

Lee McKenzie said...

Miss Jules, you naughty dog.

Then again, maybe we need to look at this from her perspective. Maybe just wanted to be a gardener, too, just like her fabulous new mom.