Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Interview with new to Harlequin American author Lisa Childs

I'm thrilled to be writing for Harlequin American and was happy to answer some questions about myself. If you have a question of your own, please ask away.

1) Tell us a little about your family and where you're from.
I'm married with two daughters. I'm also the youngest of seven kids with lots of uncles, aunts and cousins, too. So I love writing about families. I live a mile from where I grew up in west Michigan -- it's a great community, where I'm either related to or know most of the people, so it's a wonderful place to raise my kids. Must be why I love writing about community, too -- so Harlequin American is a perfect fit for me.

2) Tell us about your book.
FOREVER HIS BRIDE is the third book in my Wedding Party series for Harlequin American. I brainstormed the series while cleaning my closet, when I came across all my old bridesmaid dresses in the back of it. I love being part of weddings -- the romance, the family, the fun, the drama -- and of course all of that is in my series. When the bride jilts the groom, maid of honor, Brenna Kelly, isn't that disappointed nor is the groom that devastated as he realizes he'd proposed to the wrong woman. But he has a lot of convincing to do before he can make Brenna FOREVER HIS BRIDE.

3) If you could be lazy for an entire day what would you do?
READ!!!! I have so many wonderful books on my TBR (to be read) pile!

4) What is your writing routine?
I have to write every day or I suffer withdrawal! Of course I write more when I'm under deadline so that usually involves late nights -- if I'm busy with family stuff during the day.

5) What was the hardest part of writing your book?
I really enjoyed writing FOREVER HIS BRIDE. It was hard writing the last book, FINALLY A BRIDE, in the Wedding Party series though because I didn't want to leave this fictional town of Cloverville, Michigan or these fun characters.

6) What inspired you to write your first book?
My love of books. Even before I could read, I loved when my mom, dad or older siblings read to me.

7) What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I have so many ideas that I often work on more than one project at a time -- even going from writing a Harlequin American to a Silhouette Nocturne -- which are quite different subgenres of romance.

8) When did you first consider yourself a writer?
Always -- since I was a kid. I didn't need to get published to know I was a writer.

9) What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your book?
How much fun it was to write a plus-sized heroine -- one who is "allergic" to exercise and dieting. It was a really freeing experience and helped me accept my figure as it is now -- after having two kids and spending too much time sitting at my desk.

10) What's your favorite dessert?
Anything chocolate -- preferably dark chocolate.

11) If you were stranded on Island for a month and could bring three things along what would they be?
Hmmm...since things don't include people then I can't bring my family. And seriously, if there's no electricity I wouldn't do well. It's gone out for six hours over a storm and I've nearly lost what's left of my sanity. I'd have to have my laptop, a TV and air-conditioning -- without, I really wouldn’t make it.

12) Why did you target the American Romance Line? I LOVE the books -- I love writing about families, and including humor with emotion. The perfect book for me is one that makes me laugh and cry. American Romances do that!

6 comments:

EllenToo said...

I have loved the Wedding Party series and am sad to see the end of the series. I haven't had a chance to read "Forever His Bride" yet but it may migrate to the top of the nearest TBR pile.

Cheryl said...

I was waiting for this last book before I started reading the series. Lisa knows I'm such a big fan of her writing. I've following her across a few genres and I've yet to be disappointed in one of her books. She's such a wonderful storyteller that once I start one of her books I can't put it down till I finish. And then I'm impatient for the next one. Write faster, Lisa. lol.

Cheryl said...

Oops, sorry didn't leave my name. That last post was from Lisa's number one fan.

Cheryl S.

Estella said...

I have read the first book in this series, and enjoyed it very much.

What do you enjoy doing in your 'down time'?

Lisa Childs said...

Ellen, I'm so glad you're enjoying The Wedding Party. FOREVER HIS BRIDE is actually the 3rd book in the series. FINALLY A BRIDE is the 4th and final -- or maybe not so final. You'll see what I mean when you read the epilogue of that book. :) It's an October release, btw.

Cheryl, ahhhhhhhh...I LOVE hearing from you! I'm thrilled you've followed me to American! I hope you enjoy the books!

Hi Estella, I'm so glad you enjoyed UNEXPECTED BRIDE! As for down time, with my current deadlines, I'm tempted to ask "What down time?" :) But I make sure I make time for my family. Right now we're hooked on So You Think You Can Dance. And since I have two daughters, it seems as though I spend a lot of time -- too much time -- at the mall. And I love to read. I wish I had more time to get through my TBR pile. If only I could figure out how to get more hours in my day!

Thanks for the posts!
Lisa Childs

EllenToo said...

That's good news Lisa-- the more books in a series the better. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention so missed the idea of a 4th maybe 5th or 6th book.