Monday, June 16, 2008

Reader Suggestions


Special thanks to Jacqueline Diamond who kicked off the discussion for this week--what would our readers like to see us authors do with our blog.


It sounds like readers might enjoy seeing a few days a month used for special topics like "Author Interviews", "Craft Discussions" or "Guest Bloggers". Would anyone like to see "links" on this blog that would take them to a list of "favorite recipes" by our authors? Or a list of "cleaning tips"? Or "kiddie crafts" to keep the kids busy on rainy days?


What sorts of discussion topics interest you most? Do you enjoy hearing about authors' travels? Do you like it when authors discuss their individual books/heroine/heroes and what made writing them special or unique?


I hope you'll continue the discussion as we want to make this blog enjoyable for our readers.


Lastly I just want to say (in case we have nurses out there who read this blog) that I have a real appreciation for this special group of women. Two weeks ago my teenage son had major jaw surgery (both upper and lower--everything went amazingly well) and I was so impressed by the nurses who took care of him. Not only were they compassionate but they worked in teams--each nurse double checking the other's work so that nothing slipped by them or escaped their notice. Their compassion and patience in answering all my questions (which I'm sure I asked the same question several times over) was amazing. And each time they left the room they'd always ask not only if my son needed anything but if Mom needed anything, too.


I've always believed nurses like teachers are a special group of people who deserve our gratitude and respect, but I admit that my son's nurses have earned a soft spot in my heart for the care they gave him. And by the way, the four nurses all read romance novels and I jumped at the opportunity to give them copies of my books. I also discovered they had a "bookcase" of romance novels in the cafeteria nurses shared with one another and I was thrilled to donate a couple of bags of "American" books to them.


Hope the summer has gotten off to a great start for all of you--and please keep the discussion going on our blog this week--What can we do to make this blog the very best!


Marin

A Coal Miner's Wife Aug 2008
The Cowboy and the Angel Nov 2008





6 comments:

EllenToo said...

I answered this question last week but something else came to mind...I like hearing about what the writers are doing ie. kids, vacations.

Estella said...

I agree with Ellen.

Anonymous said...

Marin~so glad your son (and you!) are okay. Having a child in the hospital is so scary. Thanks for sharing American romances with them, too.

One of my girlfriends who is going through a hard time called and asked if she could please borrow some new romances...too many people were giving her self-help books, when all she wanted to do was escape!

Shelley

Marin Thomas said...

Ellen--Thanks for letting us know you like hearing about our kids, family, and life outside of writing.

Estella--thank you also for taking the time to comment and...

Shelley--thanks for sharing your books with your friend! Sometimes all it takes is for a person to read one book and then they're hooked on that Happy-Ever After--Forever!

cheryl c said...

I visit a lot of blogs, and I always enjoy reading about author's lives with their personal photos. I also like reading interviews with guest authors when they have a new book released. The blogs that get the most "action" are the ones that offer prizes. Usually, the guest author will offer one of her books to a commenter that day. That makes the blog fun, as well as interesting. A fun blog that I visited yesterday had commenters listing some of their favorite recipes.

Marianne Arkins said...

The blogs I read regularly are always the ones where I get to KNOW the person writing it. I'm not reading for edification, usually. I'm reading for entertainment :-)