Thursday, June 19, 2008

Reader suggestions and... a little behind... (and I don’t mean fanny)

I’m reading the reader suggestions with interest and am so glad people are speaking up about what they want. Anyone who hasn’t, feel free to do so. We’re listening!!

Now, on to the behind part...
‘Tis the season to television reruns. Bleh! My husband and I finally watched season one of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. (We’re probably the only Americans who haven’t seen it.) Now I know what jumpstarted interest in all things paranormal.

The series is fresh and intelligently written with just the right mix of scariness and humor. And the chemistry between Buffy and Angel... Well, it is to die for. Pun intended. ☺

A good television series teaches us writers a lot. (So does a good movie.) Done right, the writing is tight and free of lame plot holes. Conflict arises from both situation and character. Characters develop, make mistakes, and grow. We care about them and want to keep tuning in to see what happens to them.

If we’re invested enough, we even weather a bad episode or two. But if the series takes a downturn and the characters behave stupidly for no reason, if the plot suddenly develops big holes, we stop tuning in.

These same things apply to writing a good book. ‘Nuff said.

What TV series do you think are well-written?

Until next time,
Ann Roth
www.annroth.net

7 comments:

EllenToo said...

NOPE you are not the only Americans who hadn't seen Buffy.....I've never watched it.
I think that most TV shows today take a downturn sooner or later because it seems that most have the characters acting stupidly sooner or later.

Jennifer Faye said...

I've never watched Buffy either.

I love Gilmore Girls! Amy Sherman-Palladino, creator/writer, did an awesome job with the show. Great dialogue. A good mix between drama and comedy. Too bad they released her from the show before the last season. I have a feeling the series would have ended differently.

And I agree with Ellen, eventually a series takes a downturn. It just depends how invested I am in those characters by that time that decides whether I stick with them or not.

Anonymous said...

Ellen and Jennifer- I loved Gilmore Girls. And like Ellen said, that last year it went down hill. (Because Amy Sherman-Palladino left.) I'm betting you'd both enjoy Buffy. Lots of intelligent, witty dialogue.

Rox Delaney said...

My youngest (18 now) is a huge Buffy fan. She has all 7 seasons on DVD and has watched them enough to be able to tell you what happened in what episode. I think she memorized the scripts.

I didn't get into Buffy until about the 5th season, but was hooked immediately, then made sure I picked up from the beginning. It definitely improved as it went along, so you won't be disappointed.

Just wait for Spike. Things really pick up when he becomes a series fixture.

But my heart belongs to Giles. He was the guy in all those Taster's Choice commercials.

Have fun!

Megan Kelly said...

I thought I was the only one! I've never seen Buffy either. LOVED the Gilmore Girls, until the last season. Amy S-P missed the mark with The Return of Jezebal James series. I think it was the laugh track. [shudder] My dd just got hooked on Veronica Mars, which has plot twists you don't see coming and good writing (quippy), but I haven't seen much character growth. Still I'm looking forward to watching the season 3 dvds.

Anonymous said...

I loved Veronica Mars, too. Actually, her character reminds me of Buffy... only without the paranormal. :-) Both are kick-ass females with warm hearts, too.

Marianne Arkins said...

Never seen Buffy. Or pretty much any of the other shows that everyone raves about -- no time for TV.

I do watch NCIS and LOVE the interaction between characters.