Saturday, May 03, 2008

Almost Real

It all started out innocently enough. My husband Tom and I were in our small group at church and taking part in a discussion about workdays. It turned out that quite a few of us worked from home, and while weighing the pros and cons of this, a few people mentioned feeling isolated. Someone asked how I felt-after all, I’m home by myself most every day since my husband travels and my kids are in school.

Before actually thinking about how it would sound I said, “Well, see, I spend most of my days writing. And by the time I’m about 50 or 60 pages into a book, I really feel like I know all my characters. So, I’m rarely by myself-I’m with a whole group of people who I really like because, well, I made them up.”

Dead silence. Warily, I looked to Tom who shook his head slightly. It was the same kind of look he gives me when I have food or something on my chin.

Oops.

Suddenly, I realized what I'd just said. Not only do I make up people and pretend they’re real, but I um, actually prefer their company to most others.

No doubt about it, I sounded weird.

That conversation got me thinking about characters so great that you wish you did actually know them. I read Debbie Macomber’s Twenty Wishes this week and cried while reading the last ten pages. I loved those women! (Come on, Debbie…you don’t need to sleep! Write what happens next! :)

As for my books, one of my favorite characters is Claire Grant. She’s the heroine of The Mommy Bride, and was a secondary character in Simple Gifts. I’ve been with her through homelessness, pneumonia, her first interviews, and now…falling in love. She made a lot of days in my basement seem like the absolutely BEST place to be in the world. I’m going to miss Claire.

Until I get busy with another Harlequin, I think I’m going to concentrate on real, live people for a bit. Wish me luck. : )
Anyone else have a character in a book or movie that they’ve really liked?

PS. If you have time, take a visit to Brenda Novak's website. She's hosting an amazing auction! All the proceeds go to help research for children's diabetes! I have a set of books up for auction there...all five of my Harlequin Americans! There's also books by other American authors, and even meetings with Harlequin editors!

Shelley

4 comments:

Jennifer Faye said...

Shelley, loved your post. I could just see me saying something like that and my dh shooting me a warning look. LOL.

My all time favorite character would have to be Scarlette from the movie. She went from being spoiled rotten to taking care of the whole family. She had guts and determination. She also had a vulnerable side when it came to Rhett. My favorite love story.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer!

Oh, I loved Gone With the Wind! I read it the summer after 8th grade, on a bus tour. I remember really NOT caring about the Grand Canyon or anything else until I finished it! You're right about Scarlett...she's a super character!

Shelley

Anonymous said...

What a fun topic, Shelley. Like you, I never feel lonely during the day. Those characters I write about are in my head and heart.

I'm guessing you educated some of your church friends and got them thinking. A good thing!!

Brenda's sight is amazing. I'm offering a critique and several books and I'm betting lots of Harl. American authors are.

Have fun with your "imaginary friends"... ha ha ha

MJFredrick said...

I completely get it! Right now I'm writing a story I love so much, it's like a teenaged girl with her first boyfriend. I don't want to do anything but write!