Saturday, April 05, 2008

The Trouble With Superb Restaurants

I recently visited New York City for a conference. (Novelist’s Inc, one of the best professional authors’ groups around). The conference was exceptional and I came home energized and ready to roll up my sleeves and get to work.

And I will... after I share something about a very special restaurant. Does anyone besides me watch Top Chef? If you do, you know that the winner of the first season is Harold Dieterle. I found out that he used his winnings to open a restaurant in Greenwich Village called Perilla. Because watching that show always makes me wish I were there, tasting the delicious-looking concoctions the chefs whip up (with a little sweat and ingenuity ☺), I decided to dine at Perilla. It was pretty easy to book a reservation through the internet site, Open Table. (The fact that I reserved a table three weeks in advance probably helped.)

The restaurant is smallish with a warm ambiance and good acoustics that made conversation easy. From the start the service was impeccable. The wait staff made us feel as if were royalty, pampering us and seeing to our slightest needs. They didn’t rush us through the meal as happens in some restaurants. They let us split an appetizer. Presentation is key, and our fresh seared sea scallop appetizers were presented exquisitely.

At one point I dropped my knife on the floor. Before I could pick it up, someone did it for me and another person brought me a new one. It was like they were watching to anticipate our every need. Wow!

I hope no one is offended if I use the term ‘food orgasm’ here. That’s how it felt with every bite. The most delectable food imaginable. They didn’t heap our plates, either, or serve too-small portions. The portions were perfect, and along with a glass of excellent wine I savored that scallop appetizer, a piece of the freshest bread imaginable (soft inside and wonderfully crusty outside), a lovely roasted guinea hen served with squash, chestnuts, persimmons and spaetzle, a fabulous Brussels sprouts side dish (the sprouts were flaked into individual leaves and sautéed with dried raisins, cranberries and almonds), and a fabulous frozen milk-chocolate mousse. And a little homemade cookie and excellent decaf coffee, to finish off the meal. I left the table full but not overly so.

My only problem is that this was my first dinner in New York. Nothing else compared, not for me. I just hope eating at Perilla hasn’t ruined all other restaurants for me. One thing I know for sure: when I return to New York for a conference next spring, I will definitely return to Perilla.

I’m always looking for good places in cities I don’t know. Does anyone else have an outstanding restaurant experience to share? If so, speak up.

Until later,
Ann
www.annroth.net

6 comments:

Sarita Leone said...

Now I'm hungry. :) The meal sounds delightful!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it was. :-) My dtr says I should be a food critique. Wouldn't that be fun?! Alas, I'm a novelist instead. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ann, I'm a big Top Chef fan, and it sounds as if this restaurant was definitely winner-worthy! But how sad that none of the other dining experiences could measure up.

I hate to think what size I'd be if I were a food critic...

Tanya

Trish Milburn said...

Yum, I'm hungry now too. Sounds like a great dining experience.

Anonymous said...

Tanya- I know what you mean. I guess it's best that we're armchair critics. :-)

And Trish, I'm hungry, too!!

Jennifer Faye said...

Ann, sounds like a wonderful restaurant and now I'm hungry. *G* I watched one season of Top Chef but I don't think it was the one related to this restaurant. I'll have to put on my list of things to do.