Thursday, April 03, 2008

Sometimes, You Just Know

Next weekend, on April 12 and 13, I’ll be in the St. Louis area. I’m going to be a MSketeer, participate in a walk-a-thon, and be part of a multi-author booksigning.

Here’s how it came to be. One of my critique partners is Heather Webber. She’s good friends with Laura Bradford. Over the years, Laura and I have become fans of each other’s books. Fan mail became email, which became, oh, I don’t know...cyber-friendship. Well, about a year ago, Laura was diagnosed with MS~ multiple sclerosis.

Laura’s a brave girl. She’s warm and funny, an incredibly hard worker, and a mother of two. She's also just the type of person to take what many would view as a very difficult situation and turn it into something positive. See, Laura decided to get a group of writers and friends to form a group and walk. She asked Heather. Heather asked me, and I said yes! So did a bunch of other writers!

Readers on her Good Girls Kill For Money blog (did I mention she writes mysteries?!) came up with our group name…the MSKeteers. That’s how I became one. And Laura-being Laura-decided to give us writers a little perk and is putting on a book signing at Borders on Saturday the 12th.

The best part of the weekend? I’m going to finally get to meet Laura face to face.

I bet we all have stories of friends of friends becoming friends of our own. Sometimes…you just know when a new, lasting friendship is about to happen. That's me and Laura.

So, next weekend, think of me. I’ll be the gal with the red acrylic nails and sore feet, walking proudly in my Team MSKeteer t-shirt.

I’m looking forward to the trip for a lot of reasons…but mainly because I want to help out Laura, my new friend who just happens to have MS.

Interested in learning more about the walk? Click on the site below.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Walk/MSWalkEvents?pg=team&fr_id=8152&team_id=113626

Shelley

5 comments:

Estella said...

What a wonderful way to bring MS to the attention of many!

Sarita Leone said...

I love it that you gained a cyber-friend who's made such an impact on your life. Wonderful way to spend a weekend. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Estella and Sarita!

Thanks for commenting! I'll let you know how that walk goes!

Shelley

Jennifer Faye said...

It's great that you made such a great cyber friend and that you'll be able to participate in the walk. Dd got our family involved in a walk for Autism last year and I was really impressed on how well organized it was. It was a very nice experience. Have fun.

Anonymous said...

Some of my best friendships started out as cyber friends. I hope you have a great time!