Monday, November 05, 2007

Creative outlets

We all need creative outlets. Mine are fiction writing and cooking. Just as I enjoy creating characters and telling their stories, I also love turning raw ingredients into savory dishes. Because cooking is fun for me, my food usually tastes good. (Yes, I love my own cooking.) If I didn’t enjoy the task, I’m certain I’d produce blah results. The same holds true of writing. If a writer doesn’t like what she’s writing, it shows!

Back to cooking. I especially like to bake. Once a week (and only once a week, except for holidays and special occasions—don’t want to get fat …☺) I bake from-scratch cookies or bread or cake or pie. Or several of each. That’s why God invented freezers. ☺

Now you know my creative outlets. What are yours, and do you have more than one? Please share.

Before I sign off, here are several announcements:
November 7 I’ll be guest blogging at Fresh Fiction (http://freshfiction.com/blog). Please stop by and post a comment.

November 9 I’ll be doing an internet radio interview from 11:30-12:00 est. Find the show at http://blogtalkradio.com/MelissaAlvarez. If you would like to call in, the listener call in number is 347-215-8473.

November 15 I’ll be the guest at Noveltalk. From 9-10 pm est. To join the chat (and maybe win a door prize) , go to http://www.noveltalk.com/chat/default.asp.


Until next time,
Ann
www.annroth.net
Mitch Takes A Wife, August 2007
All I Want for Christmas, November 2007

12 comments:

Heather MacAllister said...

I love to cook, too. In fact, when I'm on a deadline, I'll start cooking more elaborately. Why, I don't know. We live in a very culturally diverse area and the foods in the grocery stores reflect that. I love it when I'm trying a new vegetable and one of the Asian or Indian grandmothers will snatch it right out of my hand, chattering away in her native language, and replace it with one she feels is a better quality. And the weird thing is that I understand exactly what she's saying.

Oh, and my speciality is rhubarb. Nobody knows what that is down here. :)

Heather

Anonymous said...

Heather-
I'm in the Seattle area, and we have all that wonderful diversity, too. And I adore rhubarb! We used to grow it.

I wonder how many writers cook?

Jennifer Faye said...

Hi. I tried to leave comment before but it seemed to disappear into cyberspace so if I post twice, my apologies.

I too love to cook. I'd bake every day of the week if my figure would allow me. LOL. I also quilt, cross stitch, crewel, and I'm going to learn hardanger. As you can tell I like to have my hands doing something. Also, I write which seems to suck up all of my time especially since I'm NaNo'ing this month.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jennifer. You really are involved in neat creative efforts. :-) What is hardanger? Hard anger?! lol

Lots of luck with NaNo!

Estella said...

My creative outlets are cross stitch knitting and sewing. I always have a project of one kind or the other going.

Nathalie said...

Wow... you are going to be busy :)

Anonymous said...

Estella- I envy you the sewing. I tried... and aside from kitchen curtains, I'm pretty bad.

Jennifer Faye said...

Ann - Hardanger is a form of embroidery. Traditionally it uses white thread on white material which includes cutting portions of the material between the stitches. It is commonly used for table linens but I'd prefer to do it for a wallhanging. It is very beautiful work.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, it sounds beautiful! Thanks for explaining.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ann!

I loved your blog. I wish I lived near you, I'd love to sample your baking!
I like to bake, too, and needlepoint. I made needlepoint stockings for my whole family and our two dogs. I love taking them out each year!

Shelley

Anonymous said...

Needlepoint. Wow, Shelley. That's really special!

It's a good thing we don't live near each other... I'm sure I'd be eating way too much of your baking. :-)

Lily said...

Ann... I really like your books and usually check your website very often!