Sunday, September 23, 2007

Our Little Lassie Dog

Some time ago I read about a study done involving dogs. A hundred people - a random mixture of dog lovers, dog haters and everything in between - listened to a recording of five different dog barks ranging from happy/playful to angry/aggressive. Each and every person in the study correctly identified the different dog barks. No exceptions. Even the dog haters were able to tell the difference in the dog barks. The scientists concluded that the relationship between dogs and humans goes back tens of thousands of years and that the two species are completely inter-dependant.

I thought the study was interesting when I heard it but not until a few weeks ago did I realize how accurate the results are. I was home alone working in my office when I heard my daughter's little 8 pound Papillon, Tsuki, barking. At first, I didn't pay any attention. Like a lot of little dogs, he barks all the time. But after a minute or two, I realized there was something different about this barking. It seemed more urgent, more panicked. I decided to go outside and investigate.

Good thing I did. My son's dog, Crush, a 'gi-normous' Dane/shepherd/Labrador/dalmatian mix, and Tsuki's best friend, lay trapped beneath a hundred pound wooden cabinet that had fallen on him. His collar was caught on a piece of ornamental iron, and he was choking. It took me about a minute to pry my thumb beneath his collar and free him. I'm not sure how much longer he would have lasted. A panting Crush stumbled away to rest against the door. Tsuki went immediately over to sniff his friend and whine sympathetically. I was quite impressed with Tsuki and called my daughter to tell her about her pint-sized Lassie.

If I hadn't discerned a difference in Tsuki's barking, I might not have gone outside in time to save Crush. Whatever the reason humans can perfectly differentiate between a dog's various barks, I'm just glad we can. If we couldn't, I might not have rescued Crush in time.

Cathy McDavid - one of those dog lovers :-)
www.cathymcdavid.com

3 comments:

catslady said...

I think anyone with animals (and children) would agree with you. I think they're studies out there that would give you a statistic on how many different feelings can be told in a bark or a meow or a cry. I've always had animals and it's a good thing to pay attention. It saved your dog's life!!!

Estella said...

I agree with catslady.

Sarita Leone said...

I've got two little cats who think they're humans, LOL. And you know, I'm not going to be the one to tell them they're not! :)