Saturday, August 11, 2007

Family Traditions

When I was a kid, my father grilled hamburgers and hotdogs on his big charcoal grill every Saturday night. When we were very young, we would take our burgers and our potato chips wrapped in a paper napkin, along with our green bottles of Coke (only allowed once a week) and sit in the playroom to watch TV.

When I was a little older we turned it into a picnic outside, and we would watch fireflies and take out our star charts and telescopes and pick out constellations. I remember those days so fondly--before my siblings and I moved to the far corners of the country and the globe, before my parents sold the family home and retired to a lake house, before anyone died or divorced (at least that I recall).

So these days, whenever any pieces of my far-flung family manage to get together, we almost always have a hamburger cookout.

My niece and her boyfriend are visiting this week from Iowa. I've never gotten to see much of Pam--we've never lived in the same city. So of course, tonight we're having a cookout and I've gathered as many sisters as I can. I hope she associates happy memories with hamburger cookouts and continues the tradition when she gets married and has kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Traditions are so important! Whether they revolve around the holidays or family reunions or summer vacations it is so important to pass things on!

Estella said...

I love tradition. My family is all fairly close. We have a yearly family reunion, large holiday dinners and frequent cookouts.

Kara Lennox said...

We keep trying to put together a family reunion. But nobody ever realy DOES it.