Sunday, August 05, 2007

Watering your feet

We are blessed with an adorable grandson (our first!) named Jack. Jack is two, and knows just how to keep cool. By watering his feet instead of the flowers, of course. (Now, why didn't I think of that?) There's nothing cuter than Jack, standing on the deck with his tiny watering can, soberly and carefully wetting his toes. When the can is empty he holds it out. "More, please." Just thinking about that makes me smile.

The real gift for me is that Jack reminds me to take joy from the simple things. The sun on your face. A baby bird, chirping for her dinner. A new season of The Closer. Coffee with a friend. I could go on and on!

Take a moment and think of something simple that makes you happy. Then please share. Who knows, your pleasure could spark added joy in each of us.


www.annroth.net
Summer Lovin' Anthology: A Reunion Story, June 2007
Mitch Takes A Wife, August, 2007

9 comments:

Estella said...

My grandsons--age two and 6 months, flowers blooming, hummingbirds, the stars at night, and the sun in the daytime.

catslady said...

Cat on my lap, a good book, a hot cup of coffee, a compliment or smile :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Estella and Catslady. All those things!

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Ann,

Jack sounds so cute! your story made me smile today! As far as other things...fireflies, the giant pumpkin in my husband's garden, really good ice cream, and dinner when both my teenagers and my traveling husband are in town. Oh! and birthdays! I love birthdays.

Shelley

Anonymous said...

Shelley- What you said--yes, yes, yes!

It's so cool that we all can find such joy from the simple things, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Having just returned from the Gulf Coast with my family I must say that watching my 11 year old daughter and 6 year old nephew frolick in the waves brought me such joy! Daily joys come from coffee on the back porch in the morning before everyone else is awake, the chats I have with my daughters while we brush our hair and paint our toenails, and watching my children sleep.

Jennifer Shirk said...

I LOVE watching my 5 year-old interact with other children and try to make friends. I also love watching my daughter and my hubby play.

They look so sweet together. It makes me all misty-eyed.

Anonymous said...

You guys ALL bring a smile to my face. Thank you so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

My family makes me very happy and I have to say reading books always keeps a smile on my face!