Thursday, June 14, 2007

I don't know about you, but when I think of summer, I'm envisioning long, lazy days at the neighborhood pool with the kids, great reads, Popsicles and plenty of watermelon. After finally getting all three kids successfully through their freshman year of high school, getting my new Harlequin American contract and setting the deadlines just right for allowing plenty of time for fun, my happy train has now come to a screeching halt. Why?

The January ice storm that's still haunting us even though it's ninety!!! ARGH!!!! Okay, so this winter, we had this crazy ice storm that lasted FOREVER, and coated our house in ice. An ice dam formed around our chimney, forcing melting water into our living room, which ruined the ceiling. After waiting FOREVER for the insurance company to make their move, we're finally all set to go, when the contractor who calls me "Darlin'" says we have trouble. Never something you want to hear in conjunction with having no living room ceiling!!! Turns out the roof the insurance guy said was fine, has been leaking since January!!!! The insurance guy insists nothing's wrong. Oh--but if there were something wrong, it'd be a $200 easy fix. Right.

This pic is of our living room after the ceiling was torn down. I asked the contractor why no drop clothes were used. He said, Hubby told him we're getting new carpet. After a few moments of wild laughter, I told him, "Um, not unless he won the lottery and didn't tell me." At this point, he says, "Darlin', don't worry, it'll all just vacuum right up." Uh huh.


I'm now switching writing genres from romance to horror!!! LOL!!! Guess who's going to be my first victim??

On to a waaay more fun topic, thanks to all of you entering Marin, Ann & my (is that grammatically correct? ) contest for our anthology, Summer Lovin'!!! The book was so much fun to write!!! I hope all of you enjoy reading it during what is hopefully turning out to be a way more peaceful summer than mine!!!

13 comments:

Michele Dunaway said...

Laura,

Congrats on the new American contract. And, as for one who just all that $15,000 "fire" damage, I feel your pain.

On the happy note, your insurance company should pay to have your carpets cleaned or replaced, especially since the contract made such a mess thinking that was the case.

Don't be afraid to demand things from your insurance company. I learned you have to push them and tell them exactly what you want, and then they'll do it. The key line--I couldn't sell my house in the condition it is in.

Michele

Michele Dunaway said...

Okay, good grief. Where did all those typos come from above? Blogger ate my words.

Sigh.

Michele

Unknown said...

to which your reply to the contractor should be Darling you have fun vacuuming that right up UGH

Marin Thomas said...

Laura

Good Lord, and I thought I had it bad with my kitchen torn apart. We can't afford new cabinets so we're refinishing the old ones only the whole process is turning out way more involved than I ever thought it would be. But at least my ceiling didn't cave in on my living room floor!!

Please tell me Mr. "Darlin" man at least looks H-O-T in his jeans and toolbelt :-)

Marin
www.marinthomas.com

PatriciaW said...

Ugh! I'm with Michelle. Demand the insurance company cover the costs.

And I thought life was bad when I had a small (but big enough to fit a body through) hole in my roof because racoons thought the asphalt shingles were tasty.

Cherie J said...

Congrats on the new contract! Sorry to hear about your troubles. I remember what a pain it was getting our home repaired after the hurricane damage that was done to it so I can sympathize.

Stacia said...

Big congrats on the new contract!!!

CrystalGB said...

Congratulations on your new contract. Hope you get everything fixed on your house. If it were me, I would talk with the insurance company about paying for the repairs.

Christa said...

I can see the horror book now. Husband and "Darlin" contractor are found dead stabbed to death with pen. Grieving widow gets new carpet with husband's insurance money.
This will be a best seller and grieving widow renovates whole house.:-)
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
I got a do a quick clean up besause my sister and bil are coming home from Winnipeg tomorrow. I've been here for a week now housesitting and catsitting. She is having a Father's Day bbq here on Sunday for my bil's family. Then all they have to do is figure out the food and what to do with this 30' branch that is hanging from the tree defying gravity that snapped when we had strong winds last Friday.

Kathleen said...

I would talk to the insurance company about paying for the cruise/vacation that you need while your house is being repaired...LOL! Definitely pain and suffering damages :) And chocolates are a mandatory prescription!

Congrats on the new contract!!

Maureen said...

Congratulations on your new contract and I hope things get fixed quickly for you.

Cheryl said...

Also expressing congratulations on your contract. Hope the repairs go quickly and I'm with everyone else - the insurance company should pay.

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new contract! Just think how great your house is gonna look when your "darlin" contractor is done!!