Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Fact & Fiction

Okay, we all do it. There’s an old adage that says you have to write what you know. Now that doesn’t mean you have to commit murder to write a mystery, for example, but writers are students of human nature.

There’s also an element of truth in a lot of writer’s works. Just look at John Grisham, who used his insider view of the legal world. And we all know that The Five People You Meet in Heaven was inspired by Mitch Ablom’s uncle Eddie, and that Nicholas Sparks used the romance of family members to create The Notebook. For today’s blog topic, I thought I’d share some insider secrets as to what was real, sort of, in two of my works.

From my first book, A Little Office Romance (Oct 2000), the scene at Busch Stadium (the old one) where Alex is in the bleachers and Julia’s in another section and the bleacher section starts calling her name: real. This actually happened to my friend, Lisa. Her friends couldn’t find her, so as the game time neared they abandoned her, and she didn’t have a ticket to get in as they’d taken it inside. Some nice businessmen gave her one of theirs and she sat with them on the third base line since the bleachers and the rest of the stadium didn’t directly connect. When her friends saw her on the Jumbotron, they got the crowd to call her name. I was up in the nosebleeds with the kids I was babysitting. When I wrote my story, it seemed a fun way to actually take the hero out of his element. As for where Julia went to college, it was Webster University, my master’s degree alma mater. (And this Lisa is the one to whom Nine Months' Notice is dedicated.)

The Wedding Secret (Dec. 2006) ranks as one of my favorite books. The entire scene at the wedding where the Luke declares Cecile to be his date is based in reality, right down to the switching of the bridesmaids because of height. This all took place at my friend Jane’s wedding, many years ago when she was the first of us to succumb and marry a great guy named Joe. The sad thing is, I showed up an hour late to the rehearsal. I felt like a real heel until I asked where Jenny was, and Jane admitted that her other bridesmaid hadn’t showed yet either. (Oops. That’s what you get for putting a rehearsal at 5 PM on a Friday and have poor working girl bridesmaids who can’t afford to take off.) So Saturday, before the wedding, we were jostling for who had to walk with whom, since we weren’t there the night before to get this important detail nailed down. I ended up with Paul, who thankfully was cute and sweet since I had to eat dinner next to him. (You know how those head tables work.) As one of my very single sorority sisters went by in the line for the buffet, which wound past our table, she started asking him all sorts of questions, including where his date was. He declared it me. Okay. First I’d heard of it, considering I’d just met him a few hours before. However, unlike Cecile, I didn’t imbibe in a magical sleepover or ever see him again as he lived in New Orleans. Mostly we danced and he spent the night pulling up the front of my dress which didn’t fit very well and kept threatening to fall down. Such was my life, and when I started this book, I knew that I simply had to use the memory as it simply would set the tone for the rest of the work. As for the rest of it, all made up.

More insider secrets in my next blog post!

Michele Dunaway

10 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

I love learning the "behind the scenes" info!

This is such fun!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info very interesting

Cheryl said...

I agree . . . I always like to hear some of the background for your stories.

Cheryl

CrystalGB said...

I love hearing behind the scenes info about books. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the visit. I am reminded of my mom always telling me to tell the truth-most people won't believe you anyway!

Kathleen said...

Reading about the behind the scenes info about books is great! Sometimes it makes me view a book differently...in a good way :)

It makes me want to read the book over again!

Anonymous said...

very interesting background info. Like the story of the girl who didn't have her ticket with her.

robynl

Maureen said...

It's interesting to read about how real life situations made it into a book.

Michele Dunaway said...

Robyn,

Lisa was supposed to meet her friends and get her ticket from them. This was pre-cell phone, remember, so when she ran really late, they gave up and figured she wasn't coming. Then there's Lisa, standing around, and who takes pity on her, but a bunch of guys who are taking a "businessman's lunch" to attend the 12:15 Cardinal baseball game.

It's so real, but it sounds so messed up. Funny thing, I was there and saw it all, and couldn't believe--there was my best friend and sorority sister!

Michele

Anonymous said...

Very interesting stories. I've always believed that all fiction is based on some fact. Even the most outrageous stories had to originate somewhere, right?