Friday, March 16, 2007

Fact or Fiction


Are readers demanding more "reality" in their fiction these days? I think so.

And it's not the suspense, mystery or thriller novels I'm referring to--it's straight up romance. What does that mean for the romance writer? Research. And lots of it.

Today's romance heroes and heroines are DEA agents, firefighters, cops, soldiers, country western singers and a slew of other occupations, each demanding factual data to support their character. I've done more research for the book I'm working on right now, FOR THE CHILDREN (Oct 07) the first book in my new series "Heart of Appalachia" than I have in all my other books combined. Not only was I faced with the challenge of researching an area of the country I've never lived in or visited for any length of time, but the occupation of my heroine was something I knew zip about--bootlegging. Yes, my heroine has her own still and makes moonshine

It's easy for me to lose myself in the factual details and often my CP will remind me that first and foremost the story is about two people falling in love. I sometimes struggle with how much is too much or not enough when it comes to adding tidbits of truth and reality to my stories.

Opinions anyone? How much factual information do you like in your romances?

Happy reading!
Marin
www.marinthomas.com

7 comments:

Laura Marie Altom said...

Marin!

You know Granny Sylv who lives with us? Her husband was the local bootlegger--even sold to the sheriff for forty years!! God bless, Arkansas!! LOL!!

I'll be checking out your series for factual accuracy!! (Wink, wink) Seriously, it sounds wonderful and unique!! ;-)

Christa said...

I think more and more people are noticing factual information and if this is off I have a tendancy to look more carefully at the rest of the story.

Christa said...

BTW Marin was did part of the research include a taste test. LOL

Marin Thomas said...

Laura,
I wish I could have interviewed Granny Slyv's husband! In my research I found interviews with former bootleggers and came away with a whole new understanding of it's history and importance in the Appalachian community. Outsiders have a very different view of moonshine making than those who grew up in the Appalachian Mountains.

Christa...speaking of testing recipes for moonshine...I came across several recipes, the most common being corn whiskey: 50lbs cornmeal, 200lbs sugar, 200 gal water, 10bs bran and 12oz yeast.
Makes 36 gallons--enough for a block party in anyone's neighborhood!

Marin

Laura Marie Altom said...

Marin, sadly, Granny Sylv's hubby Doris was shot decades ago!! The family considered it murder, but the sheriff turned a blind eye as the shooting was over moonshine!!

I tasted one of the last bottles and WOW was it strong.

There was a movie called Bootleggers filmed in their area that Doris was interviewed for. He also supplied the cast and crew with plenty of moonshine!!

Marin Thomas said...

Holy Smokes, Laura--what a story, but I'm not surprised about the sheriff turning a blind eye...I'd read a few accounts of situations like that in my research.

You've got some fascinating family history. If you find his recipe for moonshine I'd frame it proudly on your wall!

Marin

Laura Marie Altom said...

Hubby has lamented many times the fact that the recipe has apparently been lost. He was hoping in going through some of Granny Sylv's things that he'd find it. Oh well. ;-)