Sunday, March 11, 2007

Better Late Than Never!

I'm posting late because I've been out of town, in sunny (but freezing) Virginia Beach. I had planned to post from the airport early this morning, but I couldn't find a hot spot and I ran out of time.

I wish I could say I'd been in VB on a book tour, or at least doing booksignings or workshops or researching a location. But the fact is I was being a bum. Rob, my husband, was attending EpiCon, a conference for e-publishers and writers. (He is the publisher of www.BooksForABuck.com.) But I was just along for the ride, mooching his beachfront hotel room.

I'd been writing frantically on deadline for the past few weeks, so it was nice to have a few days with no agenda. I could have written if I wanted (since I brought my teeny-tiny computer), but mostly I chose to walk (on the cold beach) and birdwatch. I added five, possibly six new birds to my list. (The sixth I spotted at the airport, some kind of duck. I'll have to check the field guide to see if I can make a definitive I.D.)

It's nice to do nothing. I became a writer to get away from the overscheduled, stressful life, but lately my life has been nuts.

Downtime is essential to my writer's brain. If I don't take breaks occasionally, my subconscious rebels and refuses to give me anything. I run out of ideas and find it difficult to write. Doing nothing recharges the batteries. So does the change of scenery.

So that means I should have a new book plotted out in my head by now, eh? Well, it doesn't work quite that well. But I do feel eager to get back to my computer and start something new.

Happy Reading to You,
Kara

No comments: