Thursday, February 08, 2007

Valentine's Day is fast approaching...

Valentine’s Day is fast approaching…

At this time of the year I’m always thinking about what to get my husband on this special day. His gift for me has been the same for many years; he brings home flowers, it’s been a variation over the years, and we go out to eat at a nice restaurant--my favorite thing because I don’t have to cook.

It’s his gift that gives me a headache. It has ranged from fishing and hunting magazine subscriptions and fishing lures to wine and sporting event tickets. This year I’m doing something entirely different. He loves fig preserves and his mother, who has two big fig trees, always makes them for him. But she fell and broke her hip in early summer and didn’t make any last year. She froze several bags of figs though. I now have them and tomorrow I’m making fig preserves. I think I’ve lost my mind, but love makes us do crazy things.

I’m going to do this while he’s at work so he won’t know about it until February 14. I’ve never made fig preserves before so I’m hoping for the best. I have some festive jars and lids and his mother’s recipe. What could go wrong? Ah, I may be buying a bottle of wine at the last minute.

Are you doing anything special for your loved one?

Linda Warren
ONCE A COWBOY—Feb 2007

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I think you've lost your mind too? LOL. It's a very romantic and sweet thing to do though - just can't imagine all that work.

We usually try harder not to fight and maybe go out to eat or order pizza so that neither of us have to cook. ;-) Valentines Day also falls really close to both of our birthdays, so most of the time we end up combining the three special days and doing something on a quiet day that falls in between it all. We're thinking of a movie this year maybe.

Linda Warren said...

Hi Tammy,
Yes, you can think I'm crazy, too. Tomorrow I'll be cursing myself and wondering what I was thinking, especially when that stuff is splattering all over my kitchen.

He'd better bring home two dozen roses and a smile as big as Texas.

I like your plan better. No mess, no fuss. Just fun. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

I'd prefer giving my loved one(s) a magazine subscription that suits their particular style and interest. Even if this is a common gift, I think they would still appreciate the idea. Besides...it's the thought that counts, isn't it?!

Linda Warren said...

Yes, it's the thought that counts. Most definitely. Just wanted to let everyone know the preserves turned out great, but I'm not sure I'll do it again. It's a lot of work and clean up. Geez! Next year I'll probably go back to the magazines, too. But love is wonderful, isn't it?