Sunday, February 04, 2007

"I met him at the candy store...."

Well, actually I didn't, but it seems like a good lead, if you're into retro and recognize the sentence. If you're not and you don't, I'll clue you in: it's a line from "Leader of the Pack," a real tearjerker and one of the saddest love songs I've ever heard. But we won't go there.

This is February, the month of valentines and chocolate, roses and romance--and, not to mention, my birthday. (smile) Which means I'm all about happy love today.

I write romance, so, naturally, I enjoyed the previous blog entry with the A-lists of locations for marriage proposals. Now I'd like to back up a step, to where it all began, and find the hot spots for meeting the man or woman of your dreams.
I'll go first.

New York City. Times Square. New Year's Eve. The ball is dropping and the crowd is caught up in a feverish chant. The man next to me turns and wraps his arms around me....

No—wait!

Paris. In springtime. The air is perfumed with flowers. Lovers stroll arm in arm as the sun sets in a violet haze. I'm all alone until the man approaching stops before me....

No. Try again.

This time, the truth:

A small town. September. The bowling alley. My turn. When my first attempt bounces into the gutter, the man at the next lane over laughs. I pin him with my steely-eyed gaze, then fire the next ball straight down the alley. Right into the pocket. Strike!

You gotta love a guy who brings out the best in you.

It took a while for us to get together, but—except for some literary embellishment (hey, I'm a writer!)—that's how I met my significant other AKA my husband and hero.

How did you meet yours?


All my best to you,

Barbara

~~~~~~

Barbara White Daille

4 comments:

Marin Thomas said...

Oh, I'll play this game, Barbara!
My husband and I met in college. He followed me from philosophy 101 to Economics 101 everyday. We never spoke in those classes, but boy did we stare at each other :-)

Then the spring of my freshman year I was told by some girls in my dorm that there was this guy named Kevin who wanted to meet me. The girls arranged for me to meet Kevin in their room one afternoon. Turns out Kevin brought a friend with him for moral support--another guy named Kevin.

So I stood there looking back and forth at the two Kevin's wondering which one liked me (one had black hair the other a blond)Turns out my Kevin was the dark-haired Kevin I knew from first semester.

So our courtship started that afternoon and survived a transfer to the University of Arizona (me) and a transfer to UNLV in Las Vegas (hubby) and then his transfer back to U of A (hubby couldn't stand being away from me :-) And it ended in a five-minute ceremony in Las Vegas after I graduated. I even took an F on the final in one class so I could catch a flight and make it to our wedding. And twenty years later we're still going strong!

Marin Thomas
Nelson in Command (Jan 07)
www.marinthomas.com

Anonymous said...

The bank! LOL. I wish. While he was making a deposit into his million dollar account. Maybe he ran into me on his way out to his limo? LOL. OK, the truth is - we met in Sunday School. We were both 16 at the time. My sister, me and a friend were all there for our first day and the teacher was getting ready to introduce us to the class. This nutcase yells out, start with the middle one, she's cute. I thought he was a creep. It was a match made in heaven. Literally I guess. LOL - never thought of that. Anyway, we didn't actually start dating until about a year later. I had to get over that initial creepy first impression I guess.

Barbara White Daille said...

Marin,

Thanks for playing!

Kevin's a true hero for setting up the meet with you.

I can't believe you took an "F" on a final! Obviously, you knew the sacrifice would be worth it. (grin)

Love that happy ending. (blissful sigh)

Best,
Barbara

Barbara White Daille said...

Tammy,

I like the million-dollar depositor. Maybe in another lifetime....

Your real story's too funny! Nothing shy about your dh, huh?

And your meeting was even more innocent than my bowling alley. LOL

Best,
Barbara