Sunday, February 11, 2007

Deadline Dementia

Some writers thrive on deadlines. They deliberately take on more than they can handle, or spend two months redecorating or buying shoes, then freak out about having to finish their book in two weeks.

Some writers love to take it down to the wire. They're still writing those last five pages as they're printing out the manuscript, then rushing down to the 24-hour Fed Ex office to overnight the thing. They get an adrenaline high from all the rush, rush, rush.

Not me. I do not perform well under pressure. I freak out, I freeze up, I panic. Which is why I always give myself plenty of time. I write a certain number of pages every day in a very orderly fashion so that I can easily finish on time, even early, completely relaxed.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out that way. My current book is a good example. When I agreed to my deadline, I didn't remember that I'd volunteered to judge the Rita competition. I have six very long books to read in the next month. I've also signed on to do a lot of workshops and book-signings, most of which involve travel. And then there's this cold. I can't write when I feel sick.

Today was the crowning glory. I found a package on my doorstep ... a line-edited manuscript for my September book, ONE STUBBORN TEXAN, which has to be proofread and revised in about a week. Just as I'm recovering from that, I find out my sister and her family are coming to town this weekend.

I’m freaking here. Freezing up. The first tendrils of panic. I am approximately 50 pages behind where I should be ... eeek! Eeek!

But then, I pause and slap myself. Jeez, this is the life I wanted, and I'm complaining? Would I prefer not to have any deadlines? Would I prefer not to have books on the shelves that I need to promote? Sheesh, what a big whiney baby I am.

The book will get done. The book always gets done. Meanwhile, I intend to be grateful for my life (and my family!) whenever I can.

* * *

In other news, I have a new newsletter out and a new contest on my website, www.karalennox.com. If you like to win fun stuff, including books and chocolate, come visit me online!

1 comment:

Christa said...

So does that mean we will get to see One Stubborn Texan on the shelves soon? Hope you feel beeter soon.