Saturday, April 07, 2012

Short Trips of Fancy

Hi, all.
I don't know what it's like in your part of the country, but St. Louis has a reputation for changeable weather. It wouldn't surprise me to hear this is where the famous saying, "Don't like the weather? Wait five minutes" originated. This winter and spring have lived up to that rep. We've had "winter" days so warm, windows were open and shirt sleeves were short. On Monday, we were in the 90s; now I'm in my winter pjs and fuzzy slippers.


So we treasure those brief glimpses of pleasant weather, and tend to run after them, as joyful as children catching bubbles. I dragged my mom to the Missouri Botanical Garden for the orchid show. It was a lovely day, in the high 70s, and windy enough to whisk us off our feet. Fortunately, the show itself was inside. There are more pix on my FaceBook page if you're interested.


My next mission is to meet my critique partner at the St. Louis Zoo and walk around all day, brainstorming and soaking in the sun. Of course, that'll have to wait until the good weather returns.

And you know I have to say it -- can't wait to catch a game in person!

One of my recent "mad adventure" days saw my husband and I at Crown Candy Kitchen. We've always wanted to go there, the sun came out, and off we went. It made perfect sense at the time. This place is a landmark for good reason. A small candy store from 1913, it became a soda shoppe in the 1950s. The booths are intimate and the food is to die for. Almost literally.
I had to try the Heart Stopping BLT, with roughly a pound of bacon, plus tomato, lettuce and Miracle Whip on toast. No kidding: see the bacon? Then the lettuce, tomato, and atop bread slice. And that pic is only half the sandwich. I had to take out a bunch of bacon just to pick it up! And yes, I teamed it with a chocolate shake. The shakes come with a challenge--can you drink five in thirty minutes? The answer is no. Trust me. They are huge.

Now that we've been talking raving about CCK, several friends have mentioned wanting to go for their first time or return again. I'm game, although I may try some other temptation. And of course, there's the candy...

So, is there someplace you've been wanting to go "someday?" Do you have a "mad adventure" day and jump in the car? Where do you wind up on those luscious sunny spring days?

Megan

www.megankellybooks.com

5 comments:

linda s said...

Today the sun was shining and I packed a picnic. I picked up dh from work at noon and it poured rain for the rest of the day. Darn. But that's what we like to do on sunny days.

Megan Kelly said...

Linda S, a picnic is great idea, esp early before the heat and bugs get too nasty. I planted a columbine today, which is more fun than the weeding I've been doing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Megan,

My parents are from Webster Groves, so they know St. Louis weather well. Last Spring Break we went to Hershey, PA. This year we stayed home. The weather was great and I have fun just relaxing at home spending time with my daughter while she was on break.

Megan Kelly said...

You're so right, Tammy. Some of the most beautiful days are spent with family, no matter the weather outside.
I've always wanted to go to Hershey. My kids went w/o me and brought me a candle. Was that supposed to be funny? At least it smelled like chocolate. lol

Sara said...

I have a special place to go someday - it is in the forest here in NH - a place called Madame Sherrie's...The remains of a house that was owned by her. They say you can feel the music that used to be played there - and that at times you can see her ghost.

Sometimes I just get in the car and pick a road to see where it will lead...