Friday, December 04, 2009

Recipe of the Month: Applesauce Cookies

My mother made two kinds of cookies that I'll always love: Applesauce and Sugar. Now, you probably have a ton of sugar cookie recipes, especially this time of year, so I thought I'd share a recipe that's a little different. If you have children around, or overnight guests during the holidays, or just folks who love to snack, these cookies are great. They even have food value! I love them for breakfast with a cup of coffee or a glass of milk. Enjoy!

Virginia Chancellor's Applesauce Cookies

1/2 c. shortening (or butter or margarine if you don't want to use shortening)
1 c. (or slightly less) sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda
1 c. applesauce (any type of plain applesauce, but stay away from the chunky kind)
1 c. 100% Bran Cereal or Bran Buds (see, I told you it had food value!)
1 3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (I use more because I love nutmeg)
1/2 tsp ground cloves
Optional: 1 c. raisins

Blend shortening (butter/margarine) and sugar in a large bowl. Sift dry ingredients (except soda) in a separate bowl. (In this modern age, I don't believe you actually have to sift flour, but at least mix up the dry ingredients.) Add egg to sugar and shortening and mix well. Add soda to the applesauce and stir gently. (Note: Make sure you have the applesauce in at least a 1 1/2 cup to 2 cup container because it will expand.) Alternate mixing dry ingredients and applesauce into sugar/shortening/egg mixture. Add bran cereal and (optional) raisins and mix well. Bake 2 inches apart at 375 degrees for approximately 15 minutes, but check to make sure they don't get too done. The cookie will be moist and springy to the touch but the edges will be lightly browned. Try not to burn your hands or tongue as you can't wait to taste them. Enjoy!

Hint: If you put a sheet of waxed paper between each layer when storing them, they are easier to separate. Store in an airtight container or well covered with plastic wrap to avoid drying out.

3 comments:

Victoria Chancellor said...

I should have mentioned that you have my permission to reproduce this recipe. My mother would have been so proud if you'll give her credit, because I have no idea where she got this originally. It's more than 50 years old, that's for sure!

Linda Henderson said...

What a great recipe. Thank you.

Linda Warren said...

This sounds delicious and I was looking for a new recipe. Thanks.
Linda