Sunday, August 23, 2009

My Recent Research Trip

As some of you may know, I'm currently working on a book that centers around a rodeo family. It's Harlequin American's first ever continuity, and I'm book three (coming out the summer of 2010). I've attended plenty of rodeos but not for a number of years. So, another writer friend Libby and I went to the nearby town of Payson (Arizona) this past Sunday to watch the last day of a small but well-known local rodeo and research. In fact, it was the 125th anniversary of the rodeo, so a good day to go!

We had a great time. More importantly, I was able to gather gobs of information for my book, small details that will give it a sense of realism.
Something else that was fun, I got some pictures of the sheriff's station in Payson. Another of my books coming out in 2010 (The Accidential Sheriff) is set in Payson, and the hero is the Acting Sheriff (not by choice). This is the building where he works. Okay, he doesn't really work there, he's a fictional character. But in my mind, he's real, and inside this building is his office.


Lastly, I got some pictures of the girls' equestrian drill team. Two of my previous books, Cowboy Dad and Waiting for Baby, also taking place in or near Payson and feature a secondary character named Briana who is captain of her high school equestrian drill team. Somewhere is this group of girls is the inspiration for that character.
For me, this trip on Sunday wasn't just research, it was like visiting my books. Very cool!
Naturally, I got ideas for more books while I was there :) How could I not?

Cathy Mc

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time. I've never been to a rodeo and we have them around here. I like reading about them in books though. I think that adds to my reading pleasure. I get to travel places I'll never get to see. Experience things I'll never get to do. Meet new people, do new things. That's what I get out of books. Oh, and great stories too.

Linda Henderson

CC Coburn said...

Hi Cathy,
I just love your title - "The Accidental Sheriff"!
It was great getting so see whhere you get your inspiration.
See you in Nashville. :-)
Hey, maybe after visiting, we'll be inspired to write a series with a Country/Western theme? :-)
CC