Monday, August 24, 2009

Canines with Careers—Tipper: Office Dog

Working with families in crisis requires a whole lot of patience and compassion, and office dog Tipper has oodles of both. She works two to three days a week with her owner, Diane, at a family justice counselling office in Vancouver, BC. I’ve had the privilege of meeting them and seeing firsthand how Tipper interacts with her colleagues and clients, and how she enriches her workplace.


Tipper’s Stats
Breed: lab/collie cross
Age (in human years): 11
Weight: 50 pounds
Food: dog food, once a day
Treats: a daily dog biscuit, or two
Favorite Toy: tennis ball
Favorite Activity: going for a walk and fetching a ball at the local park; swimming at the beach
One Word that Best Describes Tipper: compassionate
Tipper has been extremely well trained and she never jumps up on people or makes overtures, so Diane’s clients are not afraid of her. She’s great with kids and will occasionally spend time with children while their parents are being interviewed. She welcomes attention but doesn’t demand it, although she will gently lean in on people, hoping to be petted. I can tell you from experience that being leaned on by Tipper can make you want to slow down, take a deep breath, and realign your perspective.

On the rare occasions when a client is loud, upset or even aggressive, Tipper remains calm and alert and keeps that person in her line of sight at all times. She’s very good at diffusing situations and she generally has a calming effect on clients who are upset.

When she’s not working directly with someone, Tipper will claim a central spot in the office where she can keep tabs on what’s happening with all the counsellors and their clients.


Her co-workers say she’s the most enthusiastic “person” in the office and, like most of us, her office decorum is different from the way she behaves at home. For example, she will bark at home when someone comes to the door but at work she often assists at the reception desk.


If you’ve ever had a pet, you know all about the benefits of having an animal in your life but until I saw Tipper on the job, I hadn’t realized that workplaces could reap so many benefits from having a dog on staff. Especially a dog as delightful and engaging as Tipper.

To meet more canines with careers, please join me and police dog named Panzer at the Wet Noodle Posse, and me and guide dog Kimo on The Writer Side of Life.

Until next time,
Lee

11 comments:

Leigh Duncan said...

Awww, we had a lab/collie mix, and Tipper looks just like him. He was the sweetest dog we ever had, but wasn't nearly as well-trained as Tipper.

Lee McKenzie said...

Hi, Leigh! Training does seem to be the key.

I have two cats who have learned to tell time - well, dinnertime - and how to ellicit a tummy rub from all and sundry, but that's about it.

I would love to have a dog as well, but haven't had the time to devote to the necessary training.

Marin Thomas said...

Lee

Thanks for sharing Tipper's story. I love hearing how animals help people.

Marin
Samantha's Cowboy (Aug 09)
www.marinthomas.com

Lee McKenzie said...

Hi, Marin! I love animal stories, and especially love books that have animals as secondary characters.

Sara said...

I love it when I walk into a business and find an animal who has residency there. It makes life so much better - whether it is a wonderful dog like Tipper - or the yarn store cat!

Lee McKenzie said...

Thanks for dropping by, Sara. The idea of a cat in a yarn store made me smile :)

Anonymous said...

I love animal stories. I live in an apartment and can't have pets but I do love animals.

Linda Henderson

Lee McKenzie said...

Hi, Linda! I'm so glad to hear you enjoy animal stories. There's a big old black and white cat in my next American Romance ;)

CC Coburn said...

Hi Lee, I loved your post.
My daughter is a youth counsellor and a month ago one of her colleagues got a French Bulldog. Yoda (and yes, he bears more than a passing resemblance):-) was too young to leave at home on his own, so he came to work with him mom - and immediately set up premises in my daughter's office instead!
She says the difference he's made to her clients is incredible. Having them there helps the kids, who are often from such tragic backgrounds, really open up.
Dogs rock!
CC

Lee McKenzie said...

Omigosh, CC! I love French bulldogs! I'll bet the puppy who "works" with your daughter is adorable.

Animals in general are great for getting people to relax, open up, learn to trust...and I could go on. I hate to think of living without them.

CC Coburn said...

LOL! Lee, if you love French Bulldogs then you would fall deeply in love with dear little Yoda. I'll forward a pic to your email addy if you like.
My first book "Colorado Christmas" has five dogs in it so you should be in doggy heaven. One of them, Dugald, is on the cover. :-)
I was pretty chuffed the art department took the care to find a cute Scotty to photograph.
CC