Friday, June 12, 2009

Setting

I'm one of those people who likes to use real settings. One of my favorites is my hometown of St. Louis. Since I've lived here all my life, including both undergraduate and graduate college, I feel that as a native I can take liberties. Some of my favorite books are here, such as Capturing the Cop, Catching the Corporate Playboy, About Last Night, The Playboy's Protegee, and Unwrapping Mr. Wright.

I'm a big city girl, and so most of my works take place in a bigger city. That doesn't mean that I don't move around. I let things inspire me. My trip to Branson and Manhattan, KS, brought about setting Twins for the Teacher in Branson. I used to spend summers on a lake in Wisconsin, and I used that lake, but moved it to Minnesota, for July's Bachelor CEO. In honor of Mike Storm, who gets a small role as a character in Bachelor CEO, I set the book in Iowa, which is where he and his wife are from. After having to work in the classroom next to me for 6 years, I figured it was the least I could do.

My first book A Little Office Romance took place in Washington DC, a setting usually taboo in the romance world for some reason. I ended that book in St. Louis, when the hero finds his heroine at the ball game.

The fun part of settings for me is what is real, what is fiction, and what is a little bit of both.

PS, I am now a public person on Facebook. You can be a fan at www.tinyurl.com/r8hkd7

Michele

No comments: