Monday, June 08, 2009

In a Texas frame of mind...


























In a Texas frame of mind…

Oh, one of my favorite topics—setting. It’s such a big part of our stories. My books are set in Texas from the beautiful Hill country in central Texas to the piney woods of east Texas to the rolling plains and prairies to desolate west Texas and to the Texas Gulf coast.
My characters have a kaleidoscope of landscapes where they work, play and fall in love.

My favorite is small town Texas and ranches. I grew up in rural Texas on a farm/ranch. That’s what I love about writing for the American line—I can draw upon those years for references and inspiration.

As a kid my dream was to live in the city. On a hot summer’s day I’d sit beneath a huge live oak whose branches spread out like an umbrella over a stock pond on our ranch. I’d look up and see the sun peeping through the branches and wish I was anywhere but here on this dusty, hot ranch. I’d dream of air-conditioning and the city where a girl didn’t have chores to do or have to get her hands dirty. As you can see I’m a daydreamer.

After high school, I finally left the ranch for college and the big city. It was rush, rush, rush. People weren’t as friendly as they were in our small community. It was a big adjustment. I then realized what I’d had all along; the serenity and comfort of wide open spaces and the security of family and home. I go back every chance I get. Most of the time I go back in my books. They contain a piece of my childhood and a slice of life in Texas.

I think most authors write about what touches their heart, their emotions and their senses. I’m always in a Texas frame of mind. How about you? Any favorite settings?

Linda
http://www.lindawarren.net/
The Sheriff of Horseshoe, Texas – March AR
Caitlyn’s Prize – July SR

12 comments:

EllenToo said...

Those pictures sure look familiar and I love reading books set in Texas but then I am a Texan. Even though I've lived elsewhere as a child most of my life has been spent here.

Anonymous said...

Linda- Great photos! I love any setting that creates a feel and sense of place.

Linda Warren said...

Ellen Too,
I do, too, but I've lived in Texas all my life. It's familiar. It's home.
You're in Corpus, right?
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Ann,
Yes, that's it. I love writing about places I've seen or places I've visited. It gives it a sense of reality.
Linda

Estella said...

I enjoy small town settings.

Linda Warren said...

Estella,
That seems to be everyone's favorite. Me, too.
Linda

EllenToo said...

Linda -- yes I'm in Corpus and most of the year love it. I don't like it so much during hurricane season and there's one heading toward the Gulf Coast.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I wanna move to Texas. I find lately I'm loving cowboy books. I guess because they take place in wide open spaces.
Ellen Too - it is that time of year again isn't it? Stay safe.

MarcieR

Linda Warren said...

Ellen,
There's a hurricane coming? I should start listening to the weather.

After Ike, I get a little nervous when I hear one in coming. I bet you do, too, since you're so close to the coast. Stay safe.
Linda

Linda Warren said...

Marcie,
I mailed your winning book today, Texas Heir, my Rita book. I should have mailed a cowboy one. Yeah, gotta love those cowboys.
Linda

EllenToo said...

No Linda no hurricane coming yet. They were talking about one way out in the middle of nowhere but it fizzled. However it is the season and who knows when one will blow up.

Linda Warren said...

Ellen,
I listened last night. No hurricanes yet. Thank God.
Linda