Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The real Crested Butte


While Lisa prefers to write about fictional towns, I've chosen a real place as the setting for all my Harlequin American Romances. Crested Butte, Colorado is a real ski town in Southwest Colorado, and one of my very favorite places to visit.

I did contemplate changing the name when I first set out to write my series of books set in the carefree resort town, but I decided that the real thing is too unique and fun to try to copy.

Not only is the town real, but all the festivals and most of the businesses and landmarks in my books (Marriage On Her Mind, The Right Mr. Wrong, The Man Most Likely and the upcoming Daddy Auditon and Her Christmas Wish) are real. From Flauschink, which celebrates the flushing out o winter, to Vinotok, featuring a giant effigy of The Grump that goes up in flames with the complaint and regrets of townspeople inside, Crested Butte knows how to throw a good party.

None of the people in my books are real people, though. That probably doesn't stop people in Crested Butte from looking for their friends and neighbors in the pages, but so far I haven't had any complaints.

Of course, I'm writing fiction, so I don't pretend to stay true to every facet of life in the real Crested Butte. I try hard not to write anything derogatory or negative. I really do love the town and the people I've met there have always been very nice and supportive. If any of them are offended, I'll take this opportunity now to apologize to them.

Writing about a real time is a tricky balancing act between adhering to facts and choosing the details that work for my characters and story. I hope readers will see love visiting the town in my books as much as I love going there iin real life.

You can find out more about the real Crested Butte here.

3 comments:

EllenToo said...

Colorado is a fun place to visit. I've actually been there on four different trips but never to Crested Butte. If I ever get a chance to head for Colorado again I may have to wander over there.

Estella said...

I love stories set in real places!

Cindi Myers said...

Thank you, Ellen and Estella. I hope you both get to visit Crested Butte someday. It really is a wonderful place.