Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

Happy Easter everyone! This holiday always allows me to remind myself of the real meaning of what I do, and to celebrate life and the glorification of God and his resurrected Son. It’s also a rare time I see my family all in one place.

It’s also going to be a busy day for me as I have to start packing and getting ready.

Wednesday I’ll be on an airplane, winging my way to Phoenix, AZ. It’ll be my first time in Phoenix, and I’m looking forward to warm weather and sunny skies.

I’ll be traveling with eight of my yearbook and newspaper students—all girls. I remember traveling to Kansas City for the Journalism Education Association convention when I was in high school. This year my daughter is going for the first time as part of the staff. She’s got more years ahead of her.

It’ll be a busy trip. There are sessions and a trade show and all sorts of things to do in Phoenix itself, not that we’ll really be there long enough to enjoy anything but the pool. But after being in the cold St. Louis weather lately, that’ll be enough.

I’m a featured speaker, and I’ll be giving a workshop called “Words Words Words” and talking about the writing and submission process. I doubt I’d be the author I am today if I hadn’t gotten my publishing start on my high school newspaper. So I’ll be conveying all sorts of tips and encouragement to budding novelists of all ages. I just finished making my powerpoint and need to go work on the notes to accompany it.

So everyone have a wonderful Easter and I’ll catch you on the 20th and let you know how it went.

6 comments:

Lee McKenzie said...

I'll look forward to hearing more about your trip, Michele. While I'm here, I'll also nominate you for a medal. I could not spend that much time with eight teenaged girls, and still be sane.

On a similar note, I just finished reading Janice Kay Johnson's 2008 Rita-winning Superroamce, Snowbound. Yes, I'm that far behind. The heroine is a high school teacher who is stranded with eight students in the mountains in Oregon. I won't spoil the story for you, but suffice to say it's the hero who keeps them safe.

Wishing Harlequin American readers and authors a Happy Easter!

Lee

penney said...

Hi Michele I enjoyed your blog today. I hope everyone have a wonderful Easter!
Hugs
penney

Estella said...

Happy Easter everyone!

EllenToo said...

I have taken teenage boys and girls to Student Council workshops(which usually last Monday-Friday) during summertime but never out of state. Hope you survive the trip and that the kids learn something.

shelley galloway said...

Hi Michele!

First, congratulations on being a featured speaker. Next, I hope you have a great time on the trip. Back when I taught, I took fifth and sixth graders to camp every spring. I think I did this 6 times...once when I was six months pregnant! Now that was quite a trip.

I hear what your saying about getting to warm weather, too. It's been cloudy and miserable in Cincinnati. Enjoy the sun!

Shelley

Trish Milburn said...

Being a journalist myself, I second what you've said about how it's help mold me into the writer I am today. Hope you're having a great time in warm, sunny Phoenix.