Monday, July 14, 2008

July Old-Timer Interview




Good morning! All of us Harlequin American authors are trying something new, which we hope will be fun for YOU--our readers--who are the most important part of our line!! (This pic is of Daughter and I.)



Twice a month, we'll be posting author interviews. One from a Newbie to the line, and another from an Old-Timer, which this month, happens to be me! Marin Thomas thought of these fun questions, so here we go:


1. When you looked in the mirror this morning, what was the first thing you thought?


How embarrassing!! But truthfully, I thought good Lord, I need a haircut and a diet--STAT!!!LOL!!!

2. Do you re-read your books once they're in print?


Never!! Who has time??


3. Did you ever eat paste or Elmer's glue when you were a kid?


Nope, but I did eat the plastic banana off of a stuffed monkey!! I display him proudly in my entry hall!! Also, I have a vague recollection of eating a few dog biscuits!!


4. What do you want to know about the future?


Will we ever fly to work? Do Bigfoot and UFOs exist? Atlantis? (Can you tell I'm a frustrated paranormal writer wannabe?) Most importantly, I want magic fat pills and exercise pills and anti-cellulite pills and oh yeah, world peace!!!


5. Can you taste the difference between Pepsi and Coke?


Absolutely! Pepsi is sweeter. I prefer it, but for some warped reason think Coke is somehow cooler. Go figure.


6. If you were stranded on a deserted island, what kind of hero would you want with you? A cowboy, a Viking warrior, a CEO, a forensics investigator, a chef, or an accountant? Why?


This is HARD!! (Get your minds out of the gutter!! I'm not talking about all of those hard chests and abs!! LOL!! I'm seriously torn on this one. First inclination is the CEO, because he'd have the big bucks for folks to be out looking for him. But cowboys are resourceful guys. Real big on practical, common sense knowledge that would be important for island living. Oh--and when it gets too hot, I could borrow his hat!!


7. You can erase any horrible experience from your past. What will it be.


Some biggees, would be deaths. My husband's father died way too young, so I'd for sure erase that. I miss Grandma and Grandpa, so they're coming back, too. There are a few real estate moves I'd have skipped, and a few mean people I'd have preferred to never have met.


8. What's the strangest thing you've ever eaten?


LOL!! Please refer to question 3!! I think I ate chocolate-covered ants once. I can't even remember where. On a trip to the East Coast--maybe Maine--we ate smoked eel. It was actually pretty good.


9. How long have you been published?


In book form, since my twins were five. They turn sixteen this week--ARRGGHH--so I guess that makes eleven years. I sold quite a few magazine articles and stories before that.


10. Describe your writing space.


I used to write in a great office, but Son #3 is addicted to World of Warcraft, and the only computer in the house powerful enough to run it is the one in my office. Meaning, I'm usually on a comfy chair in the living room, using my laptop. I write better on my laptop, so I don't mind. My office is a gorgeous jungle green color, with white trim and piles of junk waiting to be organized!!


11. What advice would you give a writer just starting out?


Initially, figure out what line you want to write for and target it. Meet the editors, read the books, etc. I think early on, I had too much of an "I'll write what anyone wants to buy" attitude. While Harlequin American was the first line I ever submitted to, upon my first rejection, I gave up and tried elsewhere. Finally, it clicked that just because one book/idea didn't work, that didn't mean I couldn't try another and another and another!!


12. What comes first--the plot or the characters?


Characters. Because of them, my plots are constantly changing.


13. How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?


My new contract brings me up to 31 books!! My favorite would have to be Saving Joe, which actually is one of my all-time worst sellers.


14. What are you reading now?


This is so sad, but the only thing I've read all summer are art books, art lesson plans, art websites, classroom management tips, etc. I know, yawn, yawn. I'm alternately thrilled and scared to death about my new job!!


15. Are you working on anything at present you'd like to share?


I'm in the home stretch of a book due August 5th!! ARGH!!! My working title is Baby Brigade, which I just heard is changing, and I'm not at all happy about it!! LOL!! It's about a Marine who has a one night stand appear with twins she says are his. He hires a nanny and mayhem and lust ensue!! Just kidding, it's actually turning out to be a much heavier, richer story than I'd first intended. The heroine lost her baby to SIDs, and her ex-husband blamed her for the infant's death. Ema's in a rough emotional place, but Jace,being a Marine, is coming to her rescue!!!


There you have it. Everything you didn't want to know about me!! LOL!! Seriously, let us know what you like/don't like about our interview questions. We're a work in progress around here!!

Have a happy Monday!! ;-)

9 comments:

EllenToo said...

I really enjoyed the interview. What I would like to know is what the authors do when they are not writing like other jobs, fun things, etc. I liked the picture.

EllenToo said...

Forgot to add that I don't understand why SAVING JOE was a poor seller because I thought it was wonderful. Unless it's because the Marshall was female.

Estella said...

This was a great post! I enjoyed it immensely.

Trish Milburn said...

LOL about the plastic banana! And I know that "how embarrassing" feeling while looking in the mirror in the morning.

Ellen, in answer to your question, I'm in love with my TiVo. It's what I bought myself when I sold my first book. I love movies and quite a few TV shows, but I'm no longer tied to appointment TV. I can watch when I have my pages written for the day or after a deadline has been met.

I also like to hike and visit national parks and historic sites.

Laura Marie Altom said...

Hey Ellen!!

Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoyed the
interview--but I'm ecstatic over the fact that you enjoyed Saving Joe! You might be right about the female marshal, in that it's traditionally a hero-type role. Also, it was pretty suspenseful, which I don't think the line was doing much of in those days. Oh well.

I agree with Trish, in that in my free time, I'm hooked on Tivo!! It's amazing to be able to watch what you want, when you want. Best invention EVER!! I'm also addicted to yard sales, The Sims, and Roller Coaster Tycoon!! I'm starting to like my sons' X-Box, but I have to have them beat the really tough monsters!! LOL!!

Hi Estella!! Thanks for visiting!!

Trish, where do you live that you have great parks to hike in? I'm jealous! Oklahoma has great people, but it's kind of boring when it comes to nearby, accessible nature!! LOL!!

Trish Milburn said...

Laura, I'm in Tennessee. Though I'm in the middle of the state, between here and the Smoky Mountains, there's lots of excellent hiking and natural beauty.

Anonymous said...

Great interview! I had to laugh about World of Warcraft because I was suckered out of my computer because it was the only one powerful enough to run that blasted game in our house!

Laura Marie Altom said...

Oh, Trish, you ARE lucky!! That part of TN is GORGEOUS!!! I'll bet you have idyllic summer temps there, too. It's about 117 outside here!! UGH.

Hugs to you, Heather!! I haven't seen my computer in weeks!! Now that we have wireless Internet, I'm also starting to lose my laptop to Myspace. Grumble, grumble. ;-)

Linda Warren said...

Hi Laura,
I loved the interview and laughed about the banana. How did it taste? I've done crazy things, too, so it's always good to laugh about them.
We've been thinking about Tivo, but I wonder when I'll find time to watch all the shows I want to. Maybe on a marathon viewing Sunday.
Great interview.